I have had more lemonade in the past two months than I’ve had in probably my whole life. Mostly because I’m not drinking alcohol right now (sad, I know). The one thing that makes me super excited is when the lemonade has some other kind of flavor: strawberry, raspberry, etc. Because lemon goes so well with berries, I was inspired to swirl in some blackberry preserves in to my latest batch of lemon poppy seed muffins. And they were amazing.
Because I am such a generous person :), I have decided to share the recipe with you. I modified this recipe for a smaller yield and then added the fruit. You could just as easily substitute the blackberry preserves for whatever fruit flavor strikes your fancy.
Blackberry Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1/4 c butter
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 c & 3 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 lemon, zest
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 c plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 tbsp blackberry jam
- 7 blackberries (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream butter & sugar on medium speed.
- Add egg and mix until combined.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- In another separate bowl, whisk together the lemon, yogurt and vanilla.
- Alternate the dry with wet ingredients and add in to the butter mixture on a low speed.
- Mix until just combined.
- Scoop out the muffin batter in to a lined or greased muffin pan. Fill each cup 3/4 of the way.
- Scoop 1/2 tsp blackberry jam in to each muffin cup.
- Using a knife, swirl the jam with the batter making a marble pattern on the top.
- Place a blackberry in the middle of each cup (optional).
- Bake 15-20 mins until a toothpick comes out of the middle of the muffin clean.