I still have that puff pastry in my freezer, and today I was craving something cheesy (per usual). Since I love pesto, and I love cheese, I decided that the only thing better than plain cheesy pastry puffs, are cheesy pastry puffs with pesto sauce. Thus, I made the brilliant decision to make these VERY easy Cheesy Pesto Pastry Twists. They were exactly the savory treat I was looking for. So much so, in fact, that I basically ate them all. These are the hazards that come with working from home. Oops.
I encourage everyone to make these immediately. They are almost too easy to make and make a great snack, appetizer, breakfast……
Cheesy Pesto Pastry Twists
- 2/3 sheet puff pastry
- 1/4 c pesto sauce
- 1/4 c finely chopped cheese (I used half Mozzarella & half Parmesan)
- Let the frozen puff pastry thaw for 40 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay out the puff pastry on a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Use a pastry brush or the back of a spoon to evenly spread the pesto sauce on the puff pastry.
- Coat the pastry with the chopped cheese and pat the cheese in to the pesto to ensure it will not fall off when you twist.
- Cut the pastry dough with the long side facing you in to 12 even strips.
- Twist each individual strip and lay them on the silpat about an inch apart.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the pastry dough begins to turn golden brown.