The weather has finally cooled down enough for me to turn on my oven without wanting to pour ice water over my head (ALS Ice Bucket Challenge style). That means, it is time for Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Muffins! Over the summer, my freezer stockpile of bananas reached new levels. It was high time to put some of those bananas to good use. My fiance loves this particular kind of muffin and fun fact: his mom made them when he was growing up. I clearly like adding extras to my banana muffins (if you haven’t already, check out my peanut butter chip & strawberry oat versions). Adding chocolate chips seemed like a natural next step. I have to say, these definitely taste more like dessert than breakfast, but if someone tells me these are acceptable to eat in the morning, I am not going to argue with them.
They are also super easy to make, and I used the same base as I did for the other muffins. It is my fail-proof recipe. You can pretty much guarantee moist (hate that word), perfect muffins every time.
Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Muffins
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 oz chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the egg, bananas, sugars, and oil.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, walnuts & chocolate chips.
- Fold the dry ingredients in to the wet ingredients until JUST combined. You do not want to over mix, and a lumpy batter is perfect.
- Pour the batter in to your pre-lined or pre greased muffin tin and fill 3/4 of the way.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips on the top of each muffin (optional).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden brown on top and toothpick comes out clean.