Since St. Patty’s Day is right around the corner (how is it mid-March already!?!), I decided to make an Irish inspired Guinness and Baileys Ice Cream Float.
This is basically an Irish Car Bomb on crack. It is SO good. The Baileys ice cream is also great just by itself. It is creamy and awesome without tasting too strong. The ice cream is made from scratch and a ice cream maker is not needed. It is a pretty simple recipe, it just takes a little while because you have to wait for the ice cream to freeze.
Once you add the ice cream to the Baileys, you are likely on your way to a drunken heart attack. Which is fine, because when in Ireland (or an Irish state of mind)………
Baileys Ice Cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1 c whole milk
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 50 ml Baileys Irish Cream
- Whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar in a bowl.
- In a sauce pan, heat up the milk until it just starts to bubble around the edges.
- Take the milk off the heat, and pour it in to the bowl with the yolks SLOWLY and whisk constantly as you pour. You want to make sure the milk gets fully incorporated without scrambling the eggs.
- Put the mixture back on low heat on the stove, and whisk constantly for about 8-10 minutes until the mixture begins to thicken. It should be thick enough to coat the back a a spoon.
- Pour everything in to a bowl and cover with saran wrap (make sure it touches the surface of the custard). Chill in the fridge.
- When the custard has cooled, add the heavy cream, Baileys and vanilla. Mix to fully incorporate.
- Put the mixture in the freezer, and whisk every couple hours. Freeze overnight. Since there is alcohol in the mix, it takes longer to fully freeze.
This can be made with an ice cream maker much more easily than the way I describe below. After step six, you would put the mixture in the ice cream machine rather than putting it in the freezer.
Guinness and Baileys Ice Cream Float
- 1 can Guinness
- 1/2 c Baileys ice cream
- 1 tbsp chocolate sauce
- Pour your Guinness in to a glass.
- Add your scoops of ice cream.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce.