Last summer was my first summer in Philadelphia after living in Seattle for three years. Needless to say, I was ill prepared for the humidity and heat. Ironically, everyone kept telling us it was one of the coolest Philly summers in years. Yay.
Since turning on our oven meant heating up our already overheated apartment, we made salad for dinner most nights. This quinoa salad is one of my favorites, and as it was 70 degrees today, it seemed like the perfect time to make it.
Lemon Chicken Quinoa Salad
Yield: 2 servings
- 3/4 c quinoa
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 pepper (chopped)
- 5 kalamata olives (sliced in half)
- 1/4 c crumbled goat cheese
- 1/4 c cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 1 persian cucumber (sliced)
- 2 tsp chopped basil
- 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the chicken broth and quinoa in a small pot, and cook on high heat.
- When the mixture begins to boil, reduce to a simmer, and cover.
- Cook for about 15 minutes until the broth has been absorbed in to the quinoa.
- While the quinoa is simmering, cook your chicken breasts in a pan on medium heat for about 5 minutes until the inside is no longer pink.
- When the quinoa and chicken have finished cooking, chop up the chicken and allow both to cool (or put them in the fridge to speed up the cooling process.)
- When they have cooled, throw everything in a medium sized bowl and mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve & enjoy!