Today was particularly dreary and cold, so I bundled up with some tea. I don’t know what it is about tea, but anytime I drink some, I crave something sweet (maybe I’m secretly British?). I wanted something light, so I made crispy Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread with a Lemon glaze. It was perfect with my Earl Grey.
Lemon Poppy Seed Shortbread Recipe:
Yield: 18 cookies
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1/4 c & 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 c flour
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix in the lemon juice.
- Add the flour and poppy seeds, and blend together.
- Spoon out into 1 inch balls on your lined baking sheet (make sure to place at least 2″ apart as they spread).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges start browning.
- Let cool, and then add the glaze on top.
Lemon Glaze Recipe:
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 c powdered sugar
- Mix lemon juice and powdered together in a small bowl.
- Spread on top of cookies!