As part of my attempt to use up all of my food before I move, I tried to get creative with the lentils I had in my kitchen. I LOVE Falafel, and was thinking cooked lentils have a similar texture to chickpeas so thought they would also make good Falafel. Turns out, they do! I made Lentil Falafel with a Cucumber Mint Yogurt Sauce. For the yogurt sauce, I used this recipe. It was sooooo good. You can dip the Falafel in the sauce, or you could put them in a pita with some lettuce and feta cheese and drizzle the sauce over. Either way, they are seriously delicious.
I baked the Falafel instead of frying them to make them a bit healthier. Since I like mine to have a crunchy coating on the outside, I rolled them in bread crumbs before putting them in the oven. It gave them the perfect crispy texture.
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1/4 c fresh parsley chopped
- 2 c cooked lentils
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg
- 1/3 c panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add your garlic, shallots and parsley to a food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Add your lentils, cumin & lemon juice and continue pulsing the processor until the mixture is crumbly in texture.
- Dump the mixture out in to a bowl, and add the egg.
- Mix together until well combined.
- Using an portion scoop, scoop the lentil mix into a small bowl containing the bread crumbs and coat thoroughly.
- Place the coated lentil mix on to a parchment paper or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Flatten the balls with the back of a spoon, and bake for 12-15 mins, until they begin to brown.
- Serve either hot or cold with the sauce (recipe below).
Cucumber Mint Yogurt Sauce
- 1 persian cucumber sliced
- 1/2 c plain greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp fresh mint
- salt & pepper to taste
- Dry the cucumber out by placing the slices on a paper towel and sprinkling some salt on them.
- Cover the slices with another paper towel and place something heavy on top.
- Let them sit for about 20 minutes.
- When the slices have dried, put them in the food processor with the lemon juice and mint.
- Process until well combined, and then add the yogurt.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with falafel!