The holidays are over, so back to work we go 🙁 Since I cannot seem to kick the feeling of being on vacation, I have still been eating like I am on vacation. This is probably not the best long-term plan, but for now, it’s sweater weather. And no one will see me in a swimsuit for months.
One of my very favorite holiday indulgences are Oreo Truffles. I know there are a billion recipes for them out there, and I am not here to reinvent the wheel. I just wanted to share my version of them: Peppermint Oreo Truffles which have zero Oreos in them. I made mine with Trader Joe’s Candy Cane Joe-Joe’s. And surprise! They taste exactly the same as Oreo truffles do.
I am a Trader Joe’s enthusiast and like to use their products whenever possible (note: this post is in no way sponsored by the company).
If you have never made Oreo Truffles before, I highly recommend you do. They are incredibly easy to make. You only need 3 ingredients, and a food processor or blender. Anytime anyone makes these, they always disappear long before any of the other desserts.
I especially like this Peppermint version because I feel like they are very Christmassy. Though clearly, I didn’t need Christmas as an excuse to make them.
Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- 1 box Trader Joe's Candy Cane Joe-Joe's
- 1 box cream cheese
- 2 12 oz bags of semi-sweet chocolate chips OR 1 bag of semi sweet & 1 bag of white chocolate
- Crushed candy canes
- In a large food processor (11 c), add the cookies and the cream cheese.
- Pulse until combined.
- Using a small cookie scoop (tsp sized), scoop out the mixture and roll it in to a ball. Place the ball on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Repeat until all the mixture has been used.
- Refrigerate for about 20 minutes.
- Place the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl.
- Melt in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until the chocolate is just melted. It is important you don't overheat the chocolate as it will seize.
- Remove the truffles from the fridge and dip each one in to the chocolate. Make sure to coat them completely and then place them back on the cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the crushed candy canes on top of the dipped truffles before the chocolate has set.
- Let the truffles set for about 15 minutes in the fridge.