This was the first summer in two years that my husband and I had a grill. To say we took advantage of having one is an understatement. I think we grilled almost every night… we’re kind of obsessed.
One of my favorite things to make is turkey burgers. I LOVE hamburgers but do not have the metabolism to support eating them regularly. Turkey burgers on the other hand, feel healthy enough to me to justify eating them more frequently. I’ve been experimenting with stuffing the burgers with various cheeses and wrapping them in various meats. This mozzarella stuffed, prosciutto wrapped version is my absolute favorite. I mean, just look at this cheese oozing out:
These are also super easy to make. We use about 1/4 lb of lean ground turkey for each burger, and it is just the right amount. I usually make my husband do the grilling since he is way better at it than me. I had him give me the recipe instructions so that I wouldn’t mess it up. Once you stuff the turkey meat with the cheese, you just wrap it up in the prosciutto and put it on the grill. It is seriously so easy.
And look how pretty it after it’s been grilled <3
Once you take these off the grill, dress them up with all of your favorite toppings. I like avocado, pesto sauce, and pepper on mine. Yum.
Mozzarella Stuffed Prosciutto Turkey Burger
- 1 tbsp panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 lb ground turkey
- 1 slice mozzarella (1 oz)
- 1 piece prosciutto
- 1 hamburger bun
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 2-3 slices pepper
- Mix the ground turkey and bread crumbs together.
- Take your slice of cheese (it works better when it's thick, and not too wide), and shape your ground turkey in to a burger around the cheese.
- Wrap with the slice of prosciutto.
- Heat your grill to medium heat.
- Grease the grill, then place your burger on the grate.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes until the turkey has browned on one side and you have a good sear.
- Flip over and continue cooking until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- While the burger is cooking, toast your bun (optional).
- Take the burger off the grill.
- Spread the pesto sauce on each side of the the bun.
- Build your burger with the avocado, onions and spinach.
- Serve / eat!