As I mentioned before, I just moved to Pittsburgh. I was exploring last weekend and found myself in a neighborhood called the Strip District. As I wandered around, I found an indoor market where all the vendors were giving out samples (my favorite thing). I had a sample of a quinoa fruit salad. I don’t know why, but up until trying it, quinoa & fruit just didn’t seem to gel to me. To my surprise, the salad was awesome, so I knew I had to attempt to recreate it.
I made it for lunch today with an orange vinaigrette and it was SO good. It was super refreshing and filling. Also, I just love any excuse to eat all my favorite fruits at once.
You could definitely make this with different kinds of fruits and I’m sure it would be just as good. The one I had at the market had watermelon, but alas, I did not have any in my house.
Quinoa Fruit Salad w/ Orange Vinaigrette
- 1/2 c quinoa
- 1 c water
- 1/2 c diced peaches (1 1/2 medium peaches)
- 1/2 c diced apples (about 3/4 apple)
- 1/2 c blueberries
- 1/2 c pitted / diced cherries (about 15 cherries)
- In a small sauce pan, heat the water and quinoa on high until it boils.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let it simmer until the quinoa absorbs all of the water (about 15-20 minutes).
- While the quinoa is cooking, make the vinaigrette (recipe below) and dice your fruit.
- Remove the quinoa from the heat and put in the fridge (or freezer) to chill.
- Once the quinoa is cool, add your fruit and vinaigrette and mix together.
- Serve & enjoy!
Yield: 1/4 c
- 2 tbsp & 2 tsp orange juice
- 3/4 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a small bowl whisk all of the ingredients together until well combined.