If you know anyone from Seattle, you know that they pretty much live there for the summer. There is really nothing that beats Seattle summers. They are the best. You have the water, the mountains, no humidity… it is amazing. Add warm nights out capped with a Seattle Style Hot Dog (or Seattle Dog), and they can’t be topped. I’m getting homesick just thinking about it.
You almost can’t go out in Seattle anymore without running in to a hot dog vendor when the bars close. They smell so amazing and the lines are always down the block. For good reason: Seattle Dogs. Seattle Dogs are hot dogs with cream cheese and some combo of onions, relish, barbecue sauce, mustard and ketchup. They sound weird, but I swear once you have a hot dog this way, you will never want it any other way. I personally prefer mine with cream cheese, onion, mustard, and ketchup. YUM.
Do yourself a favor this Memorial Day, and make these. There is no better way to ring in the summer.
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 1 hot dog
- 1 hot dog bun
- 2 tbsp cream cheese
- ketchup & mustard OR barbecue sauce
- Turn your grill on.
- Toss the onions in salt, pepper, and just a little bit of olive oil.
- Grill the onion over low heat until the onion has caramelized.
- Put the hot dog on the grill and cook until it has a nice sear. Make sure to flip it to get both sides evenly.
- Toast the hot dog bun on the grill over low heat for just a minute or so until nicely browned.
- Spread the cream cheese on the bun.
- Add the hot dog, onion, and condiments.