In my seemingly never ending quest to find the perfect cookies for ice cream sandwiches, I came across this amazing combo: strawberry ice cream & shortbread cookies. These sandwiches are so good. You will want to eat 100 of them. Surprisingly, they are only 150 calories per sandwich! So, knowing this, I ate three of them. Oops?
I have decided shortbread cookies will be my third cookie for my wedding ice cream sandwiches. I’m going to make two versions – one with strawberry ice cream and one with chocolate ice cream. I can’t wait. I think I might have to make extra sandwiches just to account for the quantity I will be eating by myself. They say the bride never eats on her wedding day, and I feel like that just won’t be the case for me. If it is, I’m going to have a stash of these in my room for my own little after party. Trust me, they are that good.
They are also crazy easy to make. The Shortbread Cookie recipe I used has 4 ingredients. That’s it! I like this one better than the one I made previously for my cookie project because this dough rolls out better than the other. I need to be able to make a million circles in the dough and easily remove them. This dough was perfect for that. The cookies also taste great when frozen – another bonus. I quartered the original recipe since 18 cookies (my yield) is already too many. I think if there were 72 shortbread cookies in my house I would probably end up in a sugar induced coma.
If you haven’t’ already begun making the cookies by now, you should probably start. Enjoy!
Strawberry Shortbread Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c flour
- 1 c softened strawberry ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter & sugar.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Add flour, and mix in well.
- Roll out the dough on to a floured surface. The dough should be about 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough in to your desired shape.
- Place your cookies on a silpat or parchment lined pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool completely.
- Put the cookies in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop about 1 oz of ice cream on to the back side of one of the cookies.
- Take another cookie and press it down on the scoop.
- Use a knife to even out the edges.
- Roll in sprinkles if you desire.