If you have never had shami kebab you are missing out on one of the best street foods of Karachi. The shami kebab is made of pieces of lamb that are marinated in lemon, garlic and spices, grilled and then served with warm flat bread (pita or naan). It is usually served with a yogurt dip and a special salad.
If you’ve been to a Pakistani restaurant, you’ll have seen a dish called shami kebab—a skewered mixture of meat, onion, and green chili, cooked on a vertical spit. But you may not have known that this meat-and-vegetables combo is also a traditional Indian dish.
Shamia is quite easy to make and is a complete meal in itself. When done properly, it is a healthy, economical and delicious meal. It is a delicacy in Pakistan and it is one of the most popular dish in the country that can be enjoyed by all.
Shami kebab is prepared with chana dal and minced mutton or lamb. It’s a dal (lentil) and meat combo. In India and Pakistan, it is very popular. Shami kebab may be prepared in a variety of ways, such as filled shami kebab or with minor spice adjustments. Spices may be added to suit your preferences.
Stuffing may be prepared with paneer, almonds, or a simple mix of onion and mint leaves.
Shami kebab may be prepared with a variety of ingredients, including vegetables, paneer, chicken, beef, or mutton.
I used mutton chunks in my shami kebab. Mutton or lamb mince may be used. It’s cooked with chana dal and other spices, then crushed into a smooth paste, shaped into flat circles, dipped in egg, and shallow fried.
Simple components like onion, green chili, coriander leaves, mint, and a sprinkle of salt were utilized in the stuffing. You can fill it with anything you want if you want.
Shamia is what we name it in our house. It’s one of my favorites since it’s soft and delicious. Shami kebab may be served as an appetizer or as a side dish with any meal.
- 300 gms mutton
- 1/2 cup chana dal
- 1 sliced onion (small)
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Cloves — 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp. black cardamom
- 1 teaspoon black pepper seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbsp. curd
- 1/2 teaspoon masala for biryani
- 1 tsp. oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 sliced onion (small)
- 1 tblsp. green chilies (chopped)
- 10 mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon coriander leaves
- a pinch of salt
For the purpose of coating
- Eggs – 2
- a pinch of salt (to taste)
- To begin, combine all of the ingredients, save the eggs, in a pressure cooker, including the curd with water and all spices. Boil them until they are well done. On your stove, you may provide up to 6 whistles or according to the instructions. It must be cooked thoroughly. After the meat has been cooked, there should be no liquid remaining. Mutton chunks were utilized in this recipe, although minced meat may also be used. If it is prepared using mince, you can just crush it thoroughly after cooking and there is no need to ground it.
- To get a smooth mixture, puree it in a food processor or in a blender. After cooking, discard the entire spices. Toss in the necessary quantity of salt. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight after thoroughly mixing. It may be prepared ahead of time, refrigerated, and cooked the following day.
- To make the stuffing, finely chop all of the ingredients. Mix everything together and set it aside.
- Remove the ingredients from the fridge approximately half an hour before cooking. To keep the mixture from adhering to your hands, wet your fingertips. Small lemon-sized or medium-sized balls may be used to make burgers. After that, fill it with the onion mixture and seal it up.
- To create a thick circular disc, roll it into a ball and then flatten it.
- In a mixing dish, crack the eggs and beat them thoroughly with a fork for a few seconds before adding a pinch of salt.
- Before cooking, dip shami kebabs in an egg mixture.
- Preheat the tawa with a little amount of oil. Cook the shami kebabs after it has warmed up. Do not turn around right away. After a few seconds, flip and fry on both sides over medium heat. As you can see in the image, this is the case. Drizzle some oil on them now and again to keep them from sticking.
- During the frying process, add the remaining beaten eggs on top of the shami kebabs.
- When the shami kebab is done, serve it as an appetizer with onion rings and lime wedges OR with any meal.
- Only the quantity of water needed should be added. Otherwise, it will become very mushy and incapable of forming forms.
- You may adjust the amount of chilli powder to your preference.
- It will be simple to ground the mixture if mince is utilized.
One of the main reasons I love Pakistani food is because of the rich assortment of ingredients that can be used to create such delicious and healthy dishes. A few of these ingredients are very unique and in many cases, are not used to make any other dishes. One of these ingredients is the shami kebab.. Read more about how to prepare shami kabab and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between Shami and seekh kebab?
Seekh kebab is a type of shawarma, which is a dish made with meat and vegetables.
What do we call Shami kabab in English?
Shami kabab is a type of Indian bread.
What is Veg shami kebab made of?
The veg shami kebab is made of vegetables and spices.