I am a fan of all things that are both salty and sweet. Since it is Friday, my plans for a summer bod are out the window (they’ll be back Monday). I work from home, and typically when I get anxious, bored, happy, sad, distracted, etc, I turn to the kitchen. Today, I just wanted a quick snack, and felt Salted Caramel Popcorn would be the perfect thing to fight my hunger/boredom. It was.
This Caramel Popcorn, is not your average Caramel Popcorn. It is buttery, salty, and sweet. The caramel is softer than normal, and not hard like candy. This kind (thankfully) won’t stick to your teeth. It also has only 3 ingredients (4 including salt). It really couldn’t be easier to make, and you don’t need a popcorn maker to make it. I inhaled the two cups I made way too quickly. If you want to make more than 2 cups, just double or triple the whole recipe. I would say the 2 cups were enough for me and maybe 1 other person. If I was to be generous.
Salted Caramel Popcorn
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp popcorn kernels
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- salt, to taste
- In a small saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add two popcorn kernels to the oil.
- When the kernels pop, add the rest of the kernels. Turn the heat to low, and shake the kernels after a minute or so.
- When the popping slows, turn the heat off.
- Pour the popcorn out in to a bowl, and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, melt the butter and brown sugar over medium heat while stirring.
- When the mixture begins to bubble, turn the heat to low and continue cooking and stirring for another minute or so.
- Take off the heat, and pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn. Make sure you coat the popcorn evenly.
- Dump the mixture out on to a lined sheet pan and spread apart.
- Sprinkle salt over the popcorn. Test one of the pieces to ensure you've added enough.
- Let the popcorn sit for a few minutes to allow the caramel to harden.