A few nights ago, I needed some yogurt, so I went to this little health food store down the street. I ended up leaving the store sans yogurt (it was $2.50/cup!). Instead, I bought a way more cost effective (not really) ice cream sandwich. It was a shortbread cookie strawberry ice cream sandwich and it was AMAZING. It basically changed everything I had been thinking about doing for my wedding. All this time I thought I would do three cookies, and two ice cream types (chocolate and vanilla). Now I think Shortbread cookies might have to be my third cookie and I’m thinking a fruity ice cream is what I’ll pair it with.
Since lemon poppy seed is the only shortbread cookie I’ve made, I decided to use this highly rated recipe. It was really simple, and while I normally hate cookie recipes that include powdered sugar, it was actually really good and you couldn’t tell the difference. Check out how it stacked up my cookie project page.
Shortbread Cookie Recipe
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/4 c powdered sugar
- 1 c flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Granulated sugar to sprinkle on top
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter & sugar.
- Add in the flour & salt, and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Roll out the dough and cut into desired sizes.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown around the edges.
- Cool & enjoy!