Fried Catfish: A Local Favorite In Destin
If you’re on a trip and looking for some food in Destin, you’ll want to try the local favorite – fried catfish. This dish is often served with hush puppies and french fries, making it a filling and satisfying meal.
You can find fried catfish at many of the local seafood restaurants, so be sure to give it a try on your next visit to Destin.
What is Catfish?
Catfish are freshwater fish that has a flat head and elongated body. They are found in rivers and lakes all over the world. Catfish are known for their large mouths and sharp teeth. Some catfish species can grow to be over six feet long!
Catfish are bottom-dwellers, which means they spend most of their time near the bottom of the water. They use their barbels (whisker-like appendages) to help them find food in the dark waters.
Catfish are scavengers and will eat just about anything they can find, including other fish, insects, and even plants. Catfish are an important food source for humans in many parts of the world. They are usually fried or grilled, and their flesh is white and flaky.
They’re a specialty in some parts of the world, and Destin, FL, is one place that’s particularly well-known for them.
Fried Catfish in Destin, FL
If you’re in the mood for some fantastic fried catfish, then you need to check out some of the restaurants in Destin, Florida, that offer this delicious dish.
Some of our favorites include The Crab Trap, AJ’s Seafood and Oyster Bar, and Harbor Docks. And here, we’ll be objective and list out 7 of the best for you:
1. The Crab Trap is a local seafood restaurant that is well-known for its fresh and delicious seafood. The catfish here is no exception – it is crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Plus, it comes with a side of hush puppies that are to die for.
2. AJ’s Seafood and Oyster Bar is another great spot for fried catfish. They have a secret recipe that they use to batter and fry the fish, and it is absolutely delicious. The catfish here is served with a side of coleslaw and tartar sauce.
3. Harbor Docks is a seafood restaurant that overlooks Destin harbor. They have an extensive menu with something for everyone, but the fried catfish is definitely a standout dish. The catfish here is served with a creamy remoulade sauce.
4. Boathouse Oyster Bar is a casual seafood restaurant with a great atmosphere. The fried catfish here is some of the best in Destin – it’s crispy and flavorful. The catfish is served with hush puppies and coleslaw.
5. Pompano Joe’s is a popular spot for both locals and tourists alike. The fried catfish here is a customer favorite – it’s light and flaky and cooked to perfection. The catfish is served with tartar sauce, coleslaw, and hush puppies.
6. Another great spot for fried catfish is The Back Porch. The fish here is fresh and delicious, and the batter is nice and crispy. The catfish is served with a side of coleslaw and hush puppies.
7. Last but not least, Harry T’s Lighthouse is a great place to get fried catfish. The fish is cooked to perfection, and the hush puppies are out of this world. The catfish here is served with a side of french fries.
So, if you’re in the mood for some delicious fried catfish, be sure to check out one of these restaurants in Destin, Florida. You won’t be disappointed.
Don’t Miss the Festivals!
If you love fried catfish, make sure to check out one of the many seafood festivals that take place in Destin each year.
These festivals are a great way to sample the local seafood cuisine and get a taste of what makes Destin such a special place. Be sure to check the schedule of events, so you don’t miss out on this annual tradition!