Pickled herring sushi – style |
Pickled herring sushi is a traditional Swedish dish, made with salted herring that has been left to ferment in vinegar. It’s a salty and sour snack that’s not for the faint of heart.
Pickled herring sushi – style is a dish that consists of pickled herring with sushi rice. It is a popular dish in Scandinavia and the Netherlands that can be found at many restaurants.
- This dish was inspired by the textures of pickled herring and raw fish used in sushi. Because herring is usually often eaten with potatoes in Scandinavia, I substituted mashed potatoes for the conventional sushi rice. These “sushi” may be served as an appetizer or as an unique hors d’oeuvre at a party.
- 3/4 pound Yukon Gold or fingerling potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard (Dijon)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (rice)
- wasabi powder (1/2 teaspoon)
- kosher salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- 4 entire pickled herring fillets or one 12-ounce jar (or two 6-ounce jars) pickled herring, drained (home-style or in wine sauce, not in sour cream)
- Mustard Purple
- In a medium saucepan, place the potatoes, add enough salted water to cover by 1 inch, and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Drain the water and set aside until it is cold enough to handle.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them thoroughly with a fork in a medium basin. Mix together the mustard oil, Dijon mustard, rice vinegar, wasabi, and salt.
- Make quarters with the potato mixture. Roll each piece beneath your hands into a log approximately 1 inch in diameter and 9 inches long on a board or other work surface.
- If using entire herring fillets, cut them into 1/2-inch-wide strips on the diagonal. Any bigger chunks of jarred herring should be sliced in half or trimmed to suit the potatoes if required. Make 1 1/2-inch lengths out of the mashed potato logs. Place them on their ends and top with a slice of herring. Refrigerate and serve cold, or serve at room temperature.
- Garnish each slice of “sushi” with a dollop of purple mustard just before serving.
As an appetizer, this recipe serves 6 to 8 people.
Pickled herring sushi is a Japanese dish that consists of thinly sliced raw fish, which is then mixed with rice vinegar and sugar. Reference: saba sushi.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is pickled herring pickled in?
Pickling is a process of preserving foods by submerging them in a brine or vinegar solution.
What is Swedish pickled herring called?
Swedish pickled herring is called gravad lax.
What is the tradition for pickled herring?
The tradition for pickled herring is to eat it with bread and butter.
- matjes herring near me
- nishin sushi
- herring roe sushi
- pickled herring