Chicken Ala King is a Chinese-American take on the classic Chicken Ala King, a dish that combines a bowl of delicious Asian Chicken Soup. Since the first time I had this soup, I’ve been hooked on the rich creamy comfort food it is, and I’ve been searching high and low for the best recipe. I came across a lot of different recipes, some of which were super rich, but still had too many calories and too little protein.
I’m not sure what the obsession with chicken is, but it has always been a favorite of mine, so I decided to create a recipe to satisfy that craving. Not only does it taste great, it’s also incredibly easy. All you need to do is fry the chicken in butter, and then add some cream. The result is a wonderful dish that is filling and creamy.
Chicken Ala King – [Best] Rich Creamy Comfort Food – What do you call a dish, consisting of drumsticks, an entire loaf of warm bread, and a pile of cheese? A good question, which I don’t have a good answer for. But, I do know that last night was anything but ordinary, after a friend of mine had a dream about my chicken ala king, and the rest is history.
Ala King Chicken – This rich and creamy chicken ala king is the ultimate comfort meal, prepared with juicy tender chicken in a creamy sauce served over rice or bread, and is ideal for hectic weeknights.
What Is Chicken King Style?
Chicken à la King (King-style chicken) Chicken is a meal prepared with diced chicken, mushrooms, sherry, and vegetables, and served over pasta, rice, or toast.
Is it possible to freeze this recipe?
Absolutely! I suggest eating it right away, but it also freezes nicely. Allow the chicken to cool fully before placing it in a zip-top plastic bag or an airtight container and storing it in the freezer for up to 1-2 months.
What should you serve with this creamy chicken fit for a king?
It’s delicious served over plain or brown rice, but it’s also good with biscuits, spaghetti, toast, or puff pastry.
- You may use any rotisserie or leftover chicken, or chopped boneless, skinless chicken breasts – season with salt and pepper and cook until cooked and soft in a skillet.
- To prevent the raw flour taste, simmer the mushroom and flour together for a bit longer.
- If you don’t like pimentos or don’t have any on hand, try red jalapeos or chopped red peppers instead.
- Use sliced carrots, frozen corn, and chopped green beans or onions and celery for mushrooms.
- Instead of heavy cream, use half & half.
- Sauteed onions or pearl onions may also be added.
Check out some of my other comfort food recipes here:
Chicken Ala King
This rich and creamy chicken ala king is the ultimate comfort meal, prepared with juicy tender chicken and a creamy sauce served over rice or toast, and is ideal for hectic weeknights.
5 minutes Preparation Time
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Recipe to be saved
Recipes to Print
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken (any rotisserie or leftover chicken)
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 8 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 quarts of milk
- heavy cream, 1/3 cup
- 2 beaten egg yolks
- 1 cup chopped and drained pimientos
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat, then add the butter block and allow it to melt.
- Once the butter has fully melted, add the sliced mushrooms and simmer for 5 minutes, or until they have softened.
- Cook for a few minutes more, stirring constantly, until the raw taste of the flour has vanished.
- Bring the sauce to a boil with the milk and chicken broth.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for approximately 3 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, mix together the egg yolks and heavy cream in a separate dish. Pour approximately half a cup of the boiling sauce into the mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes after pouring the contents from the basin into the pot. Continuously stirring
- Stir in cooked chicken, pimientos, and frozen peas for 2 to 3 minutes, or until well warm.
- Done! Serve over toast, simple rice, spaghetti, or biscuits right away.
Still famished!! Here are some chicken dishes to try:
Guys, I hope you like this Chicken ala King Recipe that I prepare on a weekly basis. Don’t forget to share this recipe with your friends on Pinterest, Facebook, and other social media platforms if you enjoy it. Also, don’t forget to like us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr, and Instagram. Hunan Chicken is another option.
Please pass this recipe along!
I love this dish. It’s a bit of a cheat, but it is so good. There is no need to faff around with a recipe when you have a quick, easy, and tasty version that works every time. In fact, I also have a recipe for Chicken Ala King just in case you didn’t know already.. Read more about side dishes to serve with chicken ala king and let us know what you think.