Classic German Cucumber Salad (Gurkensalat) |
I couldn’t help but to make it even more colorful by adding some cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, and a light drizzle of olive oil. It’s a classic combo that is sure to make you feel refreshed after a long day!
The world’s favorite salad is back! If you don’t know what a Gurkensalat is, this is your time to learn. A long time ago, pregnant German women would eat a large amount of Cucumbers in the latter half of their pregnancies. The reason behind this was that Cucumbers are known to help calm the uterus and soothe menstrual cramps, meanwhile Cucumbers also are a diuretic and can help with digestion.
I’ve been making it for years and I have to say it’s the best ever. Really simple to make, really quick and easy. If you’ve never tried it before it’s very refreshing and so different from all the other salads.
This German Cucumber Salad is a Dinner Favorite Every Time!
Are you looking for a quick and easy cucumber salad recipe? You’ll love our German Cucumber Salad with Dill! It’s a cucumber salad that’s full of flavor but not overpowering, thanks to fresh dill and just the right amount of creaminess.
To be honest, there are many distinct cucumber salads in Germany. Some are prepared only of oil and vinegar, while others include a little amount of sour cream and other “fancy dressings.”
Check out our German tomato salad, a traditional potato salad, and Lisa’s Grandma’s carrot salad if you’re searching for more German salad recipes.
This cucumber salad from Germany is dill-icious!
This dish is a traditional German cucumber salad that Lisa grew up eating and making with her father. To be honest, it’s quite similar to the Hungarian cucumber salad we currently offer on the internet.
The use of dill and the absence of paprika are the major differences. In these two dishes, it’s as if dill and paprika switched places, yet they’re each delicious in their own right.
If you don’t have fresh dill on hand (which we suggest), you may use dried salad herbs. You may also add garlic to the salad to give it a little more “kick.”
The German cucumber salad has a beautiful deep green hue to it, and it looks lovely on the table.
Unlike other really creamy cucumber salads, this one isn’t intended to be overly creamy so the dill flavor shines through.
As a result, we just use a little quantity of sour cream. However, you may modify the quantity to suit your own tastes.
It’s also essential to know what kind of cucumber you’re using. When preparing the dish, we use English cucumbers and make sure they are not too soft. Firm cucumbers enhance the flavor of the dish.
We also suggest slicing the cucumbers using a mandolin or box grater rather than a knife since the slices may quickly get overly thick if done by hand.
This cucumber salad is ready to eat after being sliced, coated, and cooled.
We suggest letting the cucumber slices and salt rest for at least 20 minutes to drain some of the excess water out of the cucumbers, as mentioned in the recipe card below.
If you’re pressed for time and want to eat the salad straight away, you may omit this step. Just keep in mind that your salad dressing will most likely become a little more watery as a result. The flavor will be excellent, but the appearance may be a bit messy (if that matters to you).
We typically eat the salad immediately after we prepare it when we make this dish. If you want the ingredients to combine and have a more strong taste, keep the salad in the fridge for a few hours.
If you don’t consume all of the cucumber salad, you may preserve it in the fridge for 1-2 days in a jar with a tight-fitting cover.
- 2 cucumbers (English)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 yellow onion, tiny
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3 tablespoons oil (vegetable)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (white)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (white)
- a third of a cup of sour cream
- season with salt and pepper to taste
- If desired, peel the cucumbers (we generally don’t peel the cucumbers while preparing the dish). Using a mandolin or the slicing side of a four-sided box grater, thinly slice the cucumbers. Toss the cucumber slices in a mixing basin.
- Toss the cucumbers with 1 teaspoon of salt and let aside for 20 minutes. This will help to get rid of any extra moisture. After 20 minutes, squeeze the cucumber to get even more water. Ensure that any surplus liquid is drained from the dish.
- Wash, dry, and finely cut the dill as you wait for the cucumber slices. Make careful to get rid of the tough stems first. Peel and finely slice a small onion as well. After the 20 minutes are up and the liquid has been drained, add both (dill and onion) to the cucumber bowl.
- In a mixing dish, combine the oil, vinegar, sour cream, sugar, and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Add additional salt (but be cautious since you have put a lot of salt!) if desired, and/or pepper Serve and have fun!
- Allowing the cucumbers to rest to drain extra water is highly recommended, but it is not necessary. If you’re short on time, you may skip this step, but your salad will be more watery as a result.
- When using English cucumbers, make sure they’re still firm. They taste better than extremely soft/rubbery cucumbers, particularly if the skin is left on.
Information about nutrition:
Serving Size: 4 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size 154 calories 14g total fat 3 g saturated fat 0g trans fat 10 g of unsaturated fat 11 milligrams of cholesterol 611mg sodium 7g Carbohydrates 1 gram of fiber 4 g sugar 1 gram of protein
An online nutrition calculator was used to determine this nutritional information. It should only be used as a guideline and not as a substitute for expert dietary guidance. Depending on the particular components used, the exact values may vary.
How did this recipe turn out for you?
You may save it to one of your Pinterest boards and come back to it at any time!
There is a reason people call this a classic, and that is because its very good. It is refreshing with a wonderful kick to it. Its a great cucumber salad with a wonderful tangy taste to it.. Read more about german cucumber and tomato salad and let us know what you think.