Makki di roti is a traditional bread that is made from wheat flour and oil. The dough is formed into balls and then rolled flat, cooked, and served. Makki di roti is a popular dish and a staple of South Asian and Pakistani cuisine. The best quality Makki di roti comes from a bakery in Pakistan that has been making the bread for centuries.
‘Makki Di Roti’ is a famous Indian gluten free flatbread made of rice flour. Traditionally it is made in a jhooma (a traditional tandoor oven) but there are several ways to make it in a microwave. There are a few variants but this one seems to be the most popular. It is made of rice flour, chickpea flour and gram flour. It can be eaten as is or with any curry or dry masala. It is recommended to have it with any curry or Indian dish.
When someone mentions Indian food, what do you think of? Rice, curry, lentils, chapati and naan? While the rice is popular in North India, lentils are more familiar to South India. In Bangladesh and Pakistan, Indian food is very popular, and roti is eaten in almost every household.
Makki di roti is a well-known and traditional north Indian bread that is particularly popular in Punjab and Haryana. Corn meal (corn flour) is used to make it, and it has a yellow color. In Punjabi, makki di roti translates to maize bread. Makki di roti is an unleavened Punjabi flatbread cooked on a hot iron griddle called tawa. It’s usually served with saag or sarson ka saag, and the combo is fantastic. It’s a little tricky to build and handle, but I’ve showed you how to do it using photos. To make handling a little simpler, I added additional wheat flour. Because it is very chilly in the UK, I frequently see my friends cooking saag and makki ki roti at home.
- 2 cups corn meal (makki ka aata)
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. oil
- a pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cup corn meal
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 3 tbsp radish (mooli, grated)
- 3/4 to 1 cup warm water
Getting the dough ready
- In a large mixing dish or plate, combine the corn flour and wheat flour with the salt.
- In the center of the flour, make a well. Working with a little amount of water at a time, create a dough similar to roti or chapathi.
- If you’re using grated radish, combine it with both flours first, then begin adding water.
- Apply some oil to your hands and pour some over the dough, mixing thoroughly until it is smooth but not sticky.
- Make tiny balls out of the dough.
- Place the ball on a cling film-covered rolling surface. To flatten it, press hard with your hand. Roll it with the rolling pin and another piece of cling film.
- Make a circle out of it, but keep it a bit thick. It shouldn’t be as thin as chapathis.
- Remove the cling film from the tave and gently place it in your hand (iron tava or non stick tava).
Preparing the rotis
- Place the makki ki roti on a hot tava for approximately 30 seconds to cook.
- Cook for another 40 seconds after turning the roti.
- Brown patches start to appear on the roti.
- Apply butter to both sides of the maaki ki roti when both sides start to acquire light brown spots and heat for a few seconds until both sides are cooked thoroughly.
- Alternatively, when the roti is nearly done, brush it with butter and fry for 5 seconds on each side.
- The length of time it takes to cook your roti is determined on its thickness. It should take approximately 1 1/2 minutes on each side to completely cook.
- It is possible to prepare the dough without wheat flour, although it is more difficult. One of my friends does not use wheat flour in her recipe since she has been preparing it since she was a kid.
- Instead of warm water, you may use cold water.
- To change the flavor, add hing, ajwain, coriander leaves, green chilies, and shredded radish to the flour.
Makki is a traditional Indian flatbread, found in every corner of India and Pakistan. It is a wheat flour bread that is cooked in a very unique way. It is rolled out flat into a thin layer and then cooked like a roti or paratha on a hot tawa. It has a wonderful aroma while cooking and the taste is something to die for.. Read more about makki atta in english and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Makki Roti healthy?
Makki Roti is a type of roti that is made with whole wheat flour. It is typically cooked on a tawa, or griddle.
Is Makki Roti better than wheat roti?
Makki Roti is a type of roti that is made from maida flour. It is more commonly used in Indian cuisine than wheat roti.
What is Makki Roti in English?
Makki roti is a type of Indian bread.