I’ve been on a mission to eat as much as I can of as many different vegetables as I can. I’ve experimented with a wide variety of recipes and got some extremely interesting results – but today, I want to share my very first attempt at a watercress soup. I know it’s a little unorthodox to make a soup with watercress and I bet it probably tastes weird – but if you can get past the taste, you’ll end up with a magnificent tasting, nourishing, and perfectly healthy watercress soup!
Watercress soup is a dish that is very popular in the spring, when the watercress is most plentiful. For most of us, it is best made with fresh watercress, but sometimes we may use the dried version.
Watercress is a common herb found in most markets and farmers markets, and is a tasty and nutritious addition to soups and salads. For a tasty and nutritious soup, watercress, shallots, garlic, and a cup of vegetable broth is a good combination.
One of the most popular soups is watercress soup. Soup with watercress was something I had for the first time during a watercress festival at Alresford, Hampshire (UK) in the spring of about April. Watercress is often utilized at this event and may be found in a variety of dishes such as watercress crepes, watercress soup, watercress beef burgers, and more.
Watercress is a low-calorie green leafy vegetable with relatively little calories and fats. It is often suggested in cholesterol management and weight loss because to its antioxidant content, low calorie content, and low fat content. Watercress is readily accessible all year. Buy fresh leaves that are thick, wide, succulent, and a rich green color at the shop. Fresh greens should be immersed in water and kept in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. Watercress lends a lovely peppery flavor to dishes. Sprigs of fresh watercress are used in salads, sandwiches, and soups.
- 3 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 100 gms onion (chopped)
- 200 gms potato (1, big)
- 100 gms watercress
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dry bay leaves (small)
- 3 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/4 cup double cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- 45 gms or more more watercress
Stock made from chicken
- 700 gms chicken skin, bones, and wings
- 100 gms or 1 onion
- 10 gms or a tiny slice of ginger
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 5 smashed garlic cloves
- 4 cups water
Stock made from chicken
- Add all of the ingredients to a pot with 4 cups of water, bring to a boil for 2 to 3 minutes, then reduce to a low heat and cover for 45 to 1 hour.
- Remove the strainer and let it aside to cool.
- Cook the onion and garlic until softened in butter or olive oil.
- Add the potato and cook for 1 to 2 minutes before adding the liquid and cooking for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the watercress and cook for 20 to 25 minutes on a low heat.
- After removing the bay leaf, mix it with a hand blender or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan and mix in the chopped watercress (approximately), pepper powder (freshly crushed), double cream, and salt. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes with the lid closed.
- In a bowl, serve hot watercress soup with a few sprigs of watercress in the center.
- Single cream may be substituted for double cream, and creamed milk can also be used.
- After 2 minutes of slow simmering, the double cream is removed, but I let it to simmer for another 10 to 15 minutes to ensure that the cream is thoroughly mixed with the soup.
- You may top the soup with croutons and your favorite grated cheese.
- You may alternatively use a chicken stock cube, ready-made chicken stock, or vegetable stock instead of making your own chicken stock.
- I always freeze the leftover stock and use it as needed.
Cold weather calls for the perfect pasta dish, and this is no exception. In fact, it is even better than most of the ones I make, and that’s because it’s not a pasta dish at all. It’s a soup, and it’s even better for you, because it’s a vegan soup. But it’s made from a not-so-usual ingredient: watercress.. Read more about watercress soup vietnamese and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why is my watercress soup bitter?
I am not sure what you mean by bitter. If you are referring to the taste of the soup, it is most likely because there is too much salt in it.
What is watercress soup made of?
Watercress is a type of green leafy vegetable that is commonly used in soups and salads. It is also known as water spinach, water arugula, or simply cress.
Can you use the stalks of watercress in soup?
Yes, you can use the stalks of watercress in soup.