German Fried Potatoes (Bratkartoffeln) | This simple German snack is usually served as an appetizer at a traditional German Christmas dinner. They usually take a while to make and are best enjoyed when they are hot. There are several different versions of German Fried Potatoes. The most common one is served with bacon, and is known as Bratkartoffeln.
This traditional German potato dish is made with crisp and seasoned shredded potatoes that are fried and served with a variety of delicious toppings. The best bratkartoffeln are made by hand and served piping hot.
Bratkartoffeln (German fried potatoes), also known as “Bratkartoffeln” (goo.gl/FdU9GS), are a popular fast food in Germany. They are commonly served with German sausage (Bratwurst), sauerkraut, and mustard. Bratkartoffeln are completely different from the dish of the same name that is popular in the United States. In the US, bratkartoffeln usually refer to fried potatoes with bacon and eggs.
These German Fried Potatoes Are Inevitably Delicious!
If you’re searching for a delicious side dish and want to try some German potato dishes, German fried potatoes are the way to go!
These German-style potatoes are also known as Bratkartoffeln (roughly “fry potatoes”) or German home fries. They are pre-boiled and then fried to perfection.
These delectable golden discs are soft on the inside and crispy on the exterior, and may be eaten with meat dishes or just dipped in ketchup!
These fried potatoes from Germany are delicious…
This fried potato recipe is based on years of expertise. We both grew up enjoying German fries, but it wasn’t until we prepared this dish together that we realized it.
Growing up in Germany, Lisa ate them as a child. These fried potatoes are a wonderful accompaniment to meat meals like Schnitzel. However, you may just eat them as a big snack or as a side dish for non-meat meals.
Eric remembers his mother preparing a similar version of these fried potatoes when he was a kid. They were usually served with handmade hamburgers as a side dish.
Before you start making this German fried potato dish, make sure you know what kind of potatoes you have on hand. Waxy potatoes are the finest potatoes to use.
This is because waxy potatoes brown nicely and remain together during and after cooking.
Otherwise, the potato slices will most likely not turn out golden brown and crispy. When you attempt to cook potatoes in a pan that are overly starchy, they may become mushy.
Season the potatoes with salt and pepper, as well as onions and chives.
When it comes to flavoring these fried potatoes, the possibilities are limitless. They go well with fried/crispy onions, but you may dress them up anyway you like.
We like freshly cut chives, but if we don’t have some on hand, a little of salt and pepper (or even seasoning salt) would suffice.
You may even dip them in a sauce of your choice. Ketchup is a safe bet, but a chipotle mayo would be even better!
It’s better to eat these German potatoes right away rather than having leftovers. This is because they may get mushy if they chill.
If you have any leftover German potatoes, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator and consume them the following day. They won’t be as crispy as you’d want, but reheating them in a frying pan with a little oil or butter can help bring them back to life.
What are fried potatoes prepared in the German style?
Thinly sliced potatoes are cooked in oil to produce a golden outer hue in German-style fried potatoes. Pre-boiling the potatoes softens the insides, reducing frying time and reducing the risk of burning.
What is the best way to soften potatoes before frying them?
Potatoes are softened before being fried by boiling them until they are tender.
Is it essential to cook the potatoes beforehand before frying them?
Not usually, but German fries are frequently boiled before frying so that all you have to think about when it comes to frying is getting a golden brown exterior and not burning the interior of the potato slice.
Which potatoes should I use for German home fries?
For German fried potatoes, a waxy potato is ideal. These potatoes are known as “firm-boiling” potatoes in German. A yellow potato is an excellent example of a waxy potato.
Recipes that are similar
Here are some excellent recipes that use potatoes in various ways for those wanting more German potato dishes (we won’t judge):
- 2 pound waxy potatoes
- 1 medium-sized chopped onion
- season with salt to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- frying oil
- garnish with chives (optional)
- (Start with Step 2 if you’re using pre-boiled potatoes.) Boil your potatoes in a saucepan on the stove, skin on, until soft. After that, remove the potatoes from the saucepan and rinse them under cold water until they are cool enough to touch without burning your hands.
- Potatoes should be peeled and sliced. The slices should be thin but not to the point of breaking.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and cook the chopped onion until transparent and slightly browned. Remove the onions from the pan and place them on a plate.
- More oil (about 2 tablespoons) should be heated in the same pan, and enough potato slices should be added to cover the bottom of the pan. To enable the slices to get crispy, they should not overlap! Because you won’t be able to put all of the potatoes into the pan, you’ll have to cook them in batches. If you want to speed things up, you may use more than one pan.
- Fry the potato slices for 3-5 minutes over medium heat, or until golden brown on the bottom. Then turn the slices over and cook until golden brown on the other side as well. Once all sides are golden brown, remove them from the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Repeat the process, adding additional oil as required, until all of the potatoes have been utilized. Re-add the onions to the final batch and cook for a few seconds (do not let them get too black!). Then, on top of your fried potatoes, add your fried onions and season with salt and pepper as required.
- Before serving, garnish with chopped chives if desired.
- It’s crucial to use a waxy potato for this recipe. If you don’t, your fried potatoes will be mushy and not crispy.
- You should prepare German fried potatoes using potatoes that have been boiled the day before, although we understand that this isn’t always possible.
Information about nutrition:
Serving Size: 4 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size: 1 Serving Size 345 calories 8g total fat 1 gram of saturated fat 0g trans fat 7g of unsaturated fat 0 mg cholesterol Sodium (mg): 230 63g carbohydrate 7 g of fiber 4 g sugar 7 g protein
An online nutrition calculator was used to determine this nutritional information. It should only be used as a guideline and not as a substitute for expert dietary guidance. Depending on the particular components used, the exact values may vary.
How did this recipe turn out for you?
You may save it to one of your Pinterest boards and come back to it at any time!
Fried potatoes are a staple in the Austrian diet. When the potato is mashed with some oil and spices, it is baked as a delicious side dish to many dishes. Nowadays, the potato is more popular as a snack, which means its frying as well as baking. Germans call it “Bratkartoffeln”.. Read more about bratkartoffeln spice and let us know what you think.