Greek Chicken Skewers – "Souvlaki" –
Since childhood I have always loved eating souvlaki, or Greek chicken skewers. My mother always made them for special occasions, which was a frequent thing in my family. I really liked the taste of the meat, although I didn’t have any of the traditional spices. I have come to learn, though, that there are many different flavors you can add to the meat, depending on what you are in the mood for. So, today I’ll show you how to make your own version of souvlaki. We’ll begin with the meat.
Being in Greece for a while I have been to a lot of restaurants and I must say that if you want good souvlaki you might consider going to the Old City of Athens where you can find many nice souvlaki restaurants. Souvlaki is a Greek dish consisting of pieces of meat, vegetables, and sometimes a cheese inside a pita or a pita bread. This dish is a must try since the pita bread is the best part, it is soft and crispy and it gives you a nice flavor. The best way to eat souvlaki is to eat the meat and vegetables first to get their flavors and then take a piece of pita bread and add the meat and vegetables on it and eat it. This is a really
Have you ever tried making traditional Greek “souvlaki”? It’s a bit of a tedious process. The best way I’ve found to make this popular Greek dish is to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts and let them marinate in olive oil and lemon for at least 1 hour or overnight. I always use fresh parsley and oregano, but any other herbs and spices will work as well.. Read more about greek chicken kebabs yogurt marinade and let us know what you think.
Long days, scorching heat, sweltering coastal towns, an endless supply of fresh fruits and veggies, cooking outdoors while the dogs play —
Yes, our vacation to Athens and Santorini inspired these chicken skewers.
I’m referring to our incredible vacation to Athens and Santorini.
Here’s where I get into all the gruesome details.
I was eating grilled chicken for supper if I wasn’t eating watermelon and feta salad.
Every single night.
And I can tell you from personal experience that Greek chicken skewers are a fantastic way to amuse a gathering —
Make a basic marinade, throw in the chicken pieces, marinate for about 30 minutes (I typically leave them longer), skewer, and cook.
But why should we stop there?
They’re particularly tasty when served with tzatziki and flatbread.
We hosted a little get-together at our home recently, and I served watermelon salad, orzo salad, and lemon cake.
Make a Greek-inspired summer feast with your family and friends!
Skewers of Greek Chicken
Recipe to be saved
Recipes to Print
- 2 pounds boneless/skinless boneless/skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-2 inch pieces (about 5 medium breasts)
- 2 tblsp oregano (dried) (or you can use 3 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano)
- 5 minced garlic cloves (more or less to taste)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- a quarter teaspoon of cumin powder (more or less to taste)
- 3 tblsp. fresh parsley, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
- 1 tsp. salt (kosher)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, coarsely ground
- Soak wooden skewers in water before grilling to prevent them from burning.
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a medium mixing basin.
- Stir in the chicken to coat it with the marinade.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (but I usually go 5 hours).
- Using skewers, thread the chicken onto the skewers.
- Grill the chicken until it is thoroughly done on both sides over high heat.
- Approximately 4-5 people may be served with this (figuring 1 breast per person).
- By adding veggies to the skewers, you may make the meal more filling (e.g., chunks of red or yellow onions, red bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, etc.)
Souvlaki are made with long, thin pieces of meat. They are grilled, marinated, sliced, skewered, and ready to eat. When you cook souvlaki, you cook it slowly over a charcoal fire, which is the traditional way to cook the meat. For souvlaki, the meat can take almost any shape, but it is usually skewered on a skewer. If you are nervous about making your own souvlaki, you can get ready-made souvlaki restaurants to make them for you. Souvlaki are commonly served with tzatziki sauce.. Read more about traditional greek marinade and let us know what you think.