This is a traditional Greek dessert, made with wheat flour and honey. It’s very easy to make at home, and can be stored in the freezer for up to three months.
Greek Snowballs Kourabiedes are a traditional Greek dessert made with phyllo dough, butter, sugar and cinnamon.
- 12 CUP FLOUR (ALL-PURPOSE)
- 1 teaspoon powdered baking soda
- a quarter teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks) at room temperature
- 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus 12 cup for rolling the cookies and another cup for rolling immediately before serving
- 1 big yolk of an egg
- 1 tablespoon anise liqueur or brandy
- 1 cup (5 ounces) walnuts or almonds, finely chopped
- 30 whole garlic cloves (optional)
Bake the cookies up to a week ahead of time.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and place racks in the middle and top thirds.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing basin. In a separate large mixing basin, beat the butter until light in color and texture, approximately 2 minutes, using a handheld electric mixer set on high speed. Just till mixed, add the 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar, then the egg yolk and brandy. Stir in the flour mixture, followed by the walnuts, using a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls using a level tablespoon for each. On a nonstick cookie sheet, space the balls 1 inch apart. If used, place a whole clove in the middle of each cookie.
- Bake until the cookies are firm to the touch and gently browned around the edges, approximately 20 minutes, rotating the positions of the cookie sheets from top to bottom and front to rear midway through baking. Allow 5 minutes for the cookies to cool on the baking pans. Transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool fully after rolling them in the remaining 12 cup confectioners’ sugar. To refresh the cookies’ coating, roll them in additional confectioners’ sugar before serving.
The kourabiedes pronunciation is a type of Greek pastry that is typically made with phyllo dough, sugar, and butter.
- authentic kourabiedes recipe
- kourabiedes recipe with ouzo
- kourabiedes recipe with almond meal
- greek cookies
- best kourabiedes recipe