How To Make Mason Jar Ice Cream (Low Carb!)
Ice cream has always been one of my favorite treats. Now that it’s summer and the sun is shining, I wanted to bring my favorite summer treat, ice cream, inside. And what better way to do that than making ice cream in a mason jar.
In this recipe, you remove the need for tricky ice cream machines by making it with ingredients that you probably already own. Mason Jar Ice Cream (Low Carb!) Ingredients: 1 ½ cups heavy cream 1 cup sweetener of your choice, I used Maple Syrup but you can use honey 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 2 eggs 2 cups heavy cream 2 tablespoons unsalted butter 2 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 1 cup heavy cream 2 tablespoons sugar 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Instructions: 1. Place the vanilla bean and pod in the bottom of a pint mason jar. Pour the cream in the jar. Add the butter, sugar, and vanilla. Screw
When making low carb ice cream, there are two things you must be aware of: the first is the fact that ice cream is very low density, which means you need more cream than you would for regular ice cream. Since you are looking for low carb recipes, start with low carb cream. The second thing is that the machine you use will make your ice cream harder, which means you need to add more erythritol to make up for the fact that the cream is not as soft as regular ice cream.. Read more about keto mason jar ice cream | peanut butter and let us know what you think.
I don’t know anybody who doesn’t like ice cream. I also don’t know anybody who doesn’t like quick and simple recipes. To create this Keto Mason Jar Ice Cream, we blended the two! My favorite ice cream flavor, butter pecan, was transformed into a simple, no-equipment recipe. Is there any way it could be any better?!
Heavy Whipping Cream with Carbs
The amount of carbohydrates in heavy whipping cream is often misunderstood. Some labels will show 0g of carbohydrates, while others may list 1. The reality is that a cup of heavy cream has approximately 9 grams of carbohydrates, or about 1/2 gram of carbs per tablespoon. You now know how many carbohydrates are in heavy cream, regardless of what the nutrition label on the one you’re using says.
We like to use heavy cream in our recipes since it has a high fat-to-protein ratio while still being low in carbohydrates. If you’re searching for additional heavy cream-based low-carb dishes, here are a few of our favorites:
Desserts with a lot of heavy cream
Low Carb Chocolate Gelato– Using cream and sugar-free chocolate powder, this Italian delicacy is transformed into a keto-friendly treat. Gelato is thicker and fattier than normal ice cream, making it the ideal keto dessert. Check out our sweets section for additional sugar-free ice cream recipes made with heavy whipping cream.
Easy No-Bake Cheesecakes– A cashew crust is topped with a silky heavy cream and cream cheese foundation. It’s even better with a drizzle of additional chocolate on top!
Keto Food List (FREE PRINTABLE)
Join 150,000 people who have already gotten a FREE keto food list and fresh recipes every week!
Chocolate Truffles Made Simple– These truffles, which are one of my personal favorites, are a very creamy and rich chocolate.
For a tasty high-fat alternative to finish off your night, try any of these keto dishes.
Is it possible to freeze ice cream in Mason jars?
Yes! This keto ice cream recipe freezes very well in mason jars. Make careful to allow a little space on top of whatever you freeze in mason jars (not only low carb recipes). Because liquids like heavy cream expand when frozen, you’ll need to allow for some additional space. To prevent overeating, make single serve mason jar ice cream pots if you struggle with portion control. Additionally, they may be used to store additional keto goodies and snacks on the road.
Adding Variety to the Flavors
This keto mason jar ice cream is inspired by my favorite taste, butter pecan. There’s no need to panic if butter pecan ice cream doesn’t seem appetizing right now. You may personalize the ice cream in a variety of ways to match your favorite tastes. If you want to plan your meals, start with the foundation for this keto mason jar ice cream and add various toppings to get the macros you want every time.
What to Know Before Making a Recipe Change
- The timings in this mason jar ice cream recipe are based on the butter pecan variation. If the components are changed, the chill time may be reduced or increased.
- The foundation of this mason jar ice cream should not be changed, but there are three components that must be left out if the overall taste is to be changed. Before modifying this recipe, remove the 1/4 cup butter, fake butter flavor, and pecans.
- The macros ARE GOING TO CHANGE. Because you have to remove fat from butter and pecans, which make up a significant portion of the calories, the macros will vary if you modify the recipe. Keep in mind that if you change anything, the macros will need to be recalculated for your particular situation in order to be correct.
The Best Keto Ice Cream Add-Ons and Flavors for Mason Jars
Obviously, the greatest taste is the one you like the most, but we thought it would be helpful to provide some suggestions! These are some of the most popular tastes, as well as some of our personal favorites, as well as those that enable you to be more creative in the kitchen.
- Brownie Batter Blast- Before shaking the ice cream base, add 2 tbsp unsweetened chocolate powder to the mixture. Bake and chill our extra fudgy keto brownies while the ice cream is freezing. After the brownies have cooled, chop them up and put them into or on top of your keto ice cream. You now have chocolate ice cream in a mason jar with a ton of brownie crumbs!
- Before shaking the ice cream base, stir in 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder. Drizzle in peanut butter or PB2 powder after the liquid has thickened. To make beautiful peanut butter ribbons, gently shake it again or just swirl it in with a spoon. You may also add a few keto chocolate chips, like these Lily’s chocolate chips, to make it extra delicious.
- Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Ice Cream- Bake half of a keto strawberry shortcake pie crust (you can just lay it flat on a cookie sheet to bake). Set aside and cool completely after baking. Before shaking the ice cream, add 3 tablespoons melted cream cheese and 1/4 cup sliced strawberries (ideally frozen). Now give everything a good shake to mix everything and double the size of the cream. Serve the strawberry ice cream with broken up crust pieces after freezing.
How to Make Keto Ice Cream in Mason Jars
A delicious dessert that’s low in net carbohydrates yet rich in fat and keto-friendly. Plus, this low-carb/keto recipe makes a great vanilla ice cream foundation that you can flavor as you want. Are you a fan of simple vanilla ice cream? You’ve figured it out. Do you want to create ice cream out of keto brownie batter? It’s all yours! This recipe is an excellent starting point for any improvements you want to make.
Only 6 basic components are required to create a simple keto butter pecan ice cream. We start with a 2 cup heavy cream base. This will give the ice cream body and turn it into a dessert with a lot of fat. A high fat foundation is required to create keto mason jar ice cream. For a great balance of sweetness, we add erythritol and stevia. Next, without the butter and pecans, this isn’t butter pecan! For the greatest overall taste, we suggest using raw chopped pecans (which we will toast later). Finally, vanilla extract and fake butter flavoring are required in this recipe. The butter flavor is optional, but we suggest it for this butter pecan ice cream. Vanilla extract, on the other hand, is a must-have for us. For a well-rounded treat, vanilla extract brings out all of the flavors in this keto mason jar ice cream.
It’s up to you, “Cone”! Making Keto Ice Cream is Simple
Don’t worry, this keto mason jar ice cream is very simple to prepare, and the prep time will fly by. Melt the butter in a small skillet first. After that, roast your chopped pecans for 5-6 minutes in a skillet or in the oven. Before adding the butter and pecans to the next batch, make sure they’ve both cooled.
In a mason jar, combine all of the keto ice cream ingredients. Shake the cream vigorously in a mason jar for 3-5 minutes (ensure the top is completely closed!). Freeze for 3 hours, or up to 24 hours, once the cream has doubled in size. Now it’s your turn to serve!
Note: We feel that ice cream made without an ice cream machine tastes best after 3 hours. It’s at its creamiest, but not rock-hard, stage. Allow your keto mason jar ice cream to set out for 5-7 minutes before serving if you plan on freezing it for an extended period of time or overnight.
If you make this dish again, and we know you will, it will be even better. In two mason jars, make a double batch! With just 3.5 hours to work with, it will be in your best interests to create extra. Simply put any leftovers in a mason jar and take it out 10-15 minutes before you want to eat them.
Keto Ice Cream is Awesome! (No Literally)
We have solutions for people who ask why keto ice cream is so difficult. Erythritol and other artificial sweeteners are used in low carb/keto ice creams. Artificial sweeteners, in general, freeze very hard. So, if you’re looking for extremely velvety soft serve, keto ice cream isn’t for you.
Keto Ice Cream Softening
You may soften keto ice cream in a few different ways. But believe us when we tell that certain techniques are much superior than others.
- “Patience is a virtue,” as the saying goes. By far the most effective method for softening keto ice cream. Pulling it out and waiting 10-15 minutes is the best method to get that creamy texture without risking ice crystal development afterwards.
- The trick with the heated spoon. Wait 2-3 minutes after submerging a metal spoon in scalding hot/boiling water. Scoop some of the ice cream out with the spoon while it is extremely hot. It’s possible that you’ll have to repeat the spoon heating technique.
- Microwave oven. This is by far my least favorite technique since warming the whole container will almost certainly result in ice crystals forming on the leftover ice cream. IMPORTANT: DO NOT HEAT IN MASON JAR. You don’t want to risk it, even if certain mason jars are temperature resistant. With glass, going from very cold to extremely hot may be hazardous. This technique should only be used if the ice cream was made and then scooped into a cardboard pint container before it has completely frozen.
Keto-Friendly Ice Cream Brands We Love
Most of the time, we’re just searching for a fast and easy dessert to grab and bring to the sofa! We understand. We’re in the same boat. However, the cost of low-carb ice cream in stores may be prohibitive at times. Plus, after you dig into them, you’ll find that the macros aren’t precisely what you’re searching for (aka a high carb count).
When compared to store-bought ice cream, our keto mason jar ice cream is a fraction of the price. Furthermore, the taste may be customized to your preferences. If you’re feeling like “big ball’in,” as the kids say, So Delicious (butter pecan or mint chip), Enlightened ice cream popsicles, and Halo Top (primarily the original flavors – vanilla, strawberry, and chocolate) are some of our favorite low carb ice cream brands! Try them out and tell us how they compare to our handmade version.
Other Well-Known Desserts
You’ll need something to go with your ice cream now that you’ve got it. We’ve got you covered whether you like your low carb ice cream in a mason jar with cake or pie. Ice cream in a mason jar is very flexible and goes well with a variety of keto recipes.
Keto dishes, particularly dessert ones, may be challenging to master on your own. That’s why we did all the legwork for you and came up with the greatest dessert ever. Let us know what you think after you’ve tried some of these delicious delights!
Ice cream in a Mason Jar is simple to make!
The greatest thing about this dish is that it just takes 10 minutes to prepare and is completely homemade. The hardest thing about this dish is the three-hour wait for it to solidify in the freezer before you can eat it. We have a winner with this mason jar ice cream recipe when we balance the pros and cons. Plus, there’s no need for an ice cream machine with this recipe! When you prepare this for the entire family, don’t forget to tag us on Instagram.
Search “– Mason Jar Ice Cream” in MyFitnessPal to easily add the recipe.
ice cream in a Mason Jar
Homemade keto ice cream prepared with cream and nuts in a mason jar.
3 hours and 11 minutes total
8 person servings
371 calories per serving
Time to prepare: 5 minutes
Time to Freeze: 3 hours
Time to cook: 6 minutes
Melt butter in a small skillet. 5-6 minutes until nuts are lightly toasted, then remove from fire and cool fully.
In a wide mouth 24 ounce mason jar, combine all ingredients. Shake vigorously for 3-5 minutes after securing the lid. The liquid in the side should be able to fill the mason jar once it has doubled in volume.
Freeze for three to twenty-four hours.
<b>Note:</b> at the three hour mark we found the ice cream to be perfect consistency. If you are freezing for significantly longer/over night be sure to let it sit out for 5-7 minutes prior to enjoying.
Net 3 g carbs per serving 1/8th recipe serving size This recipe is heavy in fat (essentially an ice cream fat bomb), so omit some of the nuts or make a different flavor with your preferred protein powder to balance it out.
ice cream in a Mason Jar
Per Serving Amount
371 calories 351 calories from fat
daily value in percent*
60 percent fat 39g
Carbohydrates account for 41% of the total.
1g4 percent fiber
2g4 percent protein
* Percent Daily Values (%DV) are calculated using a 2000-calorie diet.
Ice Cream in Mason Jars is a term used to describe ice cream made in Mason Jars.
Psst! Did you make this?Tag us on Instagram!We love seeing what you’ve made! Tag us on Instagram at @keto.connect or leave a comment & rating below.
For those who are interested in the topic, here’s a detailed breakdown on how to go about making ice cream in a jar. The reason I’m writing this blog post, is because I think it’s important to do things by the book, especially when it comes to something as important as ice cream.. Read more about keto mason jar ice cream coconut milk and let us know what you think.
This article broadly covered the following related topics:
- keto mason jar ice cream | peanut butter
- mason jar ice cream with egg
- mason jar ice cream with coconut milk
- mason jar ice cream condensed milk
- keto mason jar ice cream coconut milk