Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge With Coconut Milk – Breakfast
Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge With Coconut Milk – Breakfast is a dish that is made with cornmeal, coconut milk, and spices. It is traditionally served for breakfast in Jamaica.
Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge With Coconut Milk is a breakfast dish made with cornmeal porridge, coconut milk, and sugar. It is an easy meal to make for the whole family.
Cornmeal porridge with coconut milk is one of my favorites since the coconut milk enhances the flavor of the porridge.
If coconut milk isn’t an option, try cornmeal porridge instead.
The most common porridge in Jamaica is cornmeal porridge. Cornmeal porridge was something I ate at least twice a week as a kid.
The porridge is very satisfying, and my family considers it to be the healthiest porridge available.
Delicious Banana Porridge is a related article.
Jamaican Peanut Porridge is a kind of porridge made from peanuts.
Cornmeal porridge has many nutritional advantages, including being rich in fiber, iron, and sufficient carbohydrate to carry you through the day.
Coconut milk in the cereal has very little saturated fat.
How to Make Coconut Milk Cornmeal Porridge
- Make two cups of coconut milk from scratch. You may use canned coconut milk, but the flavor will be inferior.
- In a kitchen basin, combine the cornmeal and enough cold water. The water must be very cold, and the cornmeal must be well mixed before being added to the saucepan.
- In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, a sprinkle of salt, and two cinnamon leaves or sticks. I like cinnamon leaves, but powder works just as well. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Pour the cornmeal mixture into the saucepan with the coconut milk that is already boiling. To avoid lumps from developing, keep stirring constantly. As the porridge thickens, you may need to add a little more water.
- Reduce to a low heat setting, cover the pot, and simmer for approximately 20 minutes.
- If you didn’t use cinnamon leaves or a stick, add vanilla essence, nutmeg, and cinnamon powder. Condensed milk may be used to sweeten the dish.
Serve your cornmeal porridge with crackers or hard-dough bread if you want to be really Jamaican. My preference is for crackers, but you may like it as well.
Take pleasure in the recipes that follow.
Porridge made with Jamaican cornmeal and coconut milk
Discover how to prepare this classic Jamaican breakfast. Cornmeal porridge is a quick and simple breakfast option that can keep you full until lunchtime.
Time to prepare: 5 minutes
15 minutes to prepare
Breakfast is a course.
4 person servings
calorie count: 220 kcal
- 1 pound of cornmeal
- 2 quarts coconut cream
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon extract (vanilla)
- 12 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 12 tsp cinnamon powder or 2 cinnamon leaves
- sweeten to taste with condensed milk
In a kitchen basin, combine the cornmeal, grated nutmeg, and a cup and a half of water. To create a smooth, watery mixture, whisk everything together. Make certain there aren’t any lumps.
In a saucepan, combine the coconut milk, cinnamon leaves, and salt and bring to a boil over medium heat.
To avoid the mixture getting lumpy, pour the cornmeal mixture into the hot milk and whisk constantly. Continue to stir while the porridge thickens.
To avoid lumps, add additional water to the cornmeal if it becomes too thick.
Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook the porridge for 15–20 minutes.
Add the vanilla essence and condensed milk to taste to sweeten. Remove from the heat and serve.
- You may prepare cornmeal porridge without using coconut milk.
- The porridge will be smooth once you finely grind the cornmeal.
Jamaican Cornmeal Porridge With Coconut Milk is a breakfast dish that has been popular in the Caribbean and South America for centuries. It is made with cornmeal, milk, and coconut milk. Reference: jamaican cornmeal porridge calories.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you eat cornmeal porridge the next day?
You can eat cornmeal porridge the next day.
Does cornmeal porridge help gain weight?
Cornmeal porridge is a type of breakfast food. It is made with cornmeal, milk, and sugar.
What is Jamaican porridge made of?
- jamaican cornmeal porridge recipe
- grace cornmeal porridge
- cornmeal porridge healthy
- how to make cornmeal porridge without milk
- cornmeal porridge trinidad