The pie is a staple food in many households, but the way pies are made has changed drastically over the years. Pie crusts have become more flaky and crunchy, while fillings are becoming denser and sweeter.
The raised game pie mould is a tool that helps you to make beautiful raised pies. It can be used for savoury or sweet pies, depending on your preference.
Pastry with a hot water crust:
- 12/3 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 12 teaspoon sea salt, fine
- 1 egg, extra-large
- a third of a pound of unsalted butter
- lard (312 tablespoons)
- 1/3 cup liquid
Filling for the pie:
- 8 ounces boneless venison loin
- 5 ounces boneless breasts of partridge, pheasant, or guinea fowl
- 2 oz. fat-trimmed thick-sliced lean bacon, chopped
- 7 oz. fresh pork or venison sausage in bulk
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley and sage, chopped
- 1 lemon zest, grated
- 5 juniper berries, coarsely crushed and seasoned with a pinch of salt
- 2 egg yolks for egg wash, gently beaten with 1 tablespoon water
A pie like this would be ideal for a day of mushroom picking or hunting.
- Make the puff pastry first. In a mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt together and create a well in the center. To cover the egg, crack it into the well and sprinkle some flour over it. In a small saucepan, slowly heat the butter, lard, and water. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil after the butter and lard have melted.
- Pour the boiling water and lard around the bowl’s edge and mix everything together with a table knife rapidly. Lightly knead the dough until it is smooth. At this point, it will be very soft. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour, or until the pastry is stiff.
- Prepare the filling in the meanwhile. Remove any fat or sinew from the game meat before cutting it into 34-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper after adding the bacon, sausage, herbs, lemon zest, and crushed juniper berries. Make four equal pieces of the mixture and roll them into balls.
- To make the pie covers, cut off one-third of the dough. Refrigerate it after wrapping it in plastic wrap. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the remaining dough to approximately 1/8-inch thickness. Cut four circles with a diameter of 512 inches. For the lids, roll out the remaining pastry to the same thickness and cut out four 234-inch-diameter rounds.
- Place a filling ball in the center of each pastry base, then cover with a lid. Brush the egg wash over the edge of the pastry base, then shape it up and around the filling to meet the lid. Curl the lid’s edge up to meet the top inside edge of the pie case and squeeze the two together to close. Make the remaining three pies in the same way. To add a decorative touch, crimp the edges. Â Refrigerate the pastry until it is firm.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. With a tiny knife, cut a clean steam hole in the middle of each pie cover. Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake the pies for 15 minutes. Take them out of the oven and equally coat them with the remaining egg wash. Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F and bake for another 20–30 minutes, or until the crust is done and the center of the pie is heated. To test, stick a metal skewer into the middle of a pie for a few seconds, then touch it with your palm or lip: it should feel warm. Allow the pies to cool completely on a wire rack. Serve cold with piccalilli and pickled onions.
The raised pie recipe is a type of crust that is made with baking powder and sugar.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does hand raised pie mean?
It is a gesture that means stop or halt.
What is game pie made of?
Game pie is made of many different things. It can be made out of anything from apples to chocolate to bananas, and everything in between.
How long does game pie last?
A piece of pie will last for about a day.
- raised pie
- victorian raised game pie
- hand raised pie
- great british bake off meat pie episode
- wild game meat pie recipes