Shrimp aspic is a cream-based seafood dish that is served chilled and garnished with parsley, lemon zest, and black pepper. It is typically made with shrimp, white wine, and cream.
Aspic is a type of gelatinous or jellied food that is served cold and often made with seafood. This recipe for shrimp aspic uses canned salmon, mayonnaise, and cream cheese to create an easy appetizer.
- 2 gelatin envelopes, unflavored
- 12 cup ice water
- Tomato juice (212 cup)
- 1 tablespoon yellow onion, coarsely grated (a Microplane is the tool to use here)
- 1 teaspoon horseradish powder
- 1 teaspoon sauce de Worcester
- a quarter teaspoon of salt
- 1/8 teaspoon spicy red pepper powder (cayenne)
- 12 cup cooked, shelled, and deveined shrimp, coarsely diced (about 10 ounces cooked, shelled, and deveined shrimp or 25 to 30 medium-small)
- 12 cup green bell pepper, thinly diced
- 12 cup celery, finely diced
- 6 cups iceberg lettuce
Use fresh shrimp instead of frozen or canned shrimp for a greater taste.
- Set aside a beautiful, nonreactive 6-cup ring mold that has been sprayed with nonstick frying spray.
- In a small ramekin, soften the gelatin in cold water. Meanwhile, heat 112 cups tomato juice in a 2-quart ovenproof glass measuring cup for 5 minutes at 50% power or until steaming in a microwave.
- Scoop the softened gelatin into the heated tomato juice and whisk until the gelatin is completely dissolved. Combine the remaining 1 cup tomato juice, grated onion, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and cayenne pepper in a mixing bowl. Refrigerate for 1 to 112 hours, uncovered, or until the consistency of unbeaten egg white.
- Combine the shrimp, bell pepper, and celery in a mixing bowl and pour into a mold. Chill for several hours or overnight in an uncovered container in the refrigerator.
- Divide the lettuce cups among six salad dishes when ready to serve. Unmold the aspic by rapidly immersing it in hot water and inverting it onto a big dish. Tip: If the plate is moist, it will be simpler to center the unmolded salad.
- Slice the aspic into six wedges and place them on top of the lettuce. A little dish of mayonnaise should be passed around.
Shrimp Aspic is a tomato-based aspic that can be made in less than 15 minutes. It is a great dish for parties or when you have leftovers from shrimp, scallops, or crab. Reference: tomato aspic with shrimp.
- shrimp cocktail aspic
- tomato aspic
- shrimp jello salad
- tomato aspic recipe
- tomato aspic salad