Birds nest pudding is a Chinese dessert made from the cooked, gelatinous remains of birds’ nests. The dish is often served in small bowls with milk or fruit syrup.
Bird nest pudding is a traditional British dessert. The ingredient list for the recipe includes milk, eggs, sugar, flour, butter and vanilla extract.
- The only consensus I could discover on what Bird’s Nest Pudding should taste like was that it should include apples. Before baking, a baked-custard mixture was poured over the apples in Connecticut. The pudding is served with a sour sauce in Vermont, the “home” of maple sugar, and maple sugar in Massachusetts, where there are less maple trees. A Bird’s Nest Pudding recipe is provided like this in the old White House Cookbook, a historical record of American cuisine from 1887: “Eight apples, cored and peeled, should be placed in a baking dish, with sugar and grated nutmeg filling the spaces where the cores were removed; cover and bake. Beat the yolks of four eggs lightly, then add two teacupfuls of flour, mixed with three even teaspoonfuls of baking powder, one pint of milk, and a teaspoon of salt; finally, fold in the egg whites, pour over the apples, and bake for one hour in a moderate oven. Serve with a side of sauce.” Compare that to this dish from Vermont.
- APPLES ARE
- 8 peeled and sliced tart apples
- a third of a cup of sugar;
- a quarter teaspoon of cinnamon
- TOPPING FOR BISCUIT
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose);
- 12 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda;
- 1 tbsp cream of tartar; 1 tbsp cream of tartar
- a quarter teaspoon of salt;
- a quarter cup of fat;
- 1 gallon of milk
- Sauce with a kick
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using butter, grease a deep 2-quart casserole. Place the apples in the greased baking dish. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and sprinkle over the apples.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a mixing basin. Cut in the fat until it is completely incorporated into the flour. To create a soft dough, add the milk. Knead the dough for 2 or 3 strokes on a lightly floured surface. Fit over the apples after patting to a 1-inch thickness. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the apples are soft and golden brown and the biscuit topping is golden brown. Serve with a side of sour sauce.
YIELDS SIX SERVINGS
A birds nest pudding is a dessert that is made by pouring hot water into a pot of cooked fruit. The mixture then forms a soft, gelatinous mass on the bottom of the pan. Reference: apple birds nest recipe.
- bird’s nest pudding origin
- bird nest recipe
- birds nest pie spaghetti
- crow’s nest pudding
- rye n’ injun bread