Egg Biryani Recipe | how to make egg biryani in cooker & dum style
Biryani is a popular rice dish in South Asia. It is usually cooked with meat, poultry or vegetables and served with raita. The dish can be made by cooking the rice with spices, herbs, nuts, lentils or vegetables to make a layered but slightly dry savory dish.
The hyderabadi egg biryani recipe is a popular dish in Hyderabad, India. It is made by cooking eggs with spices and rice in a pot on the stovetop or in an oven-safe pan over high heat.
Long-grain fragrant basmati rice is cooked with egg masala, a few herbs, and aromatic biryani spices in this egg biryani dish, which is one of the most popular biryani recipes in Indian cuisine. In most parts of India, it is known as anda biryani. Though there are many egg biryani recipes available in India, including dum egg biryani, egg biryani in the cooker, and quick pot egg biryani, I choose the most traditional dum egg biryani recipe since it provides the most genuine flavor. You will learn how to prepare egg biryani at home in this article.
Though it takes a few minutes longer to make this egg dum biryani than any quick pot or pressure cook egg biryani, it delivers the same genuine flavor as any classic biryani dish.
Note: If you’re in a hurry, you may verify your chosen subject by clicking on the following links. Continue reading if you want to see our step-by-step recipe preparation.
What ingredients are used in the egg biryani recipe?
Good quality long grain aromatic basmati rice, boiled eggs, boiled potatoes, fried onions, desi ghee, thick yoghurt, and a few biryani spices like as nutmeg, mace, green cardamom, black cardamom, clove, cumin seed, and others are used to make egg biryani.
Finally, add freshly cut coriander leaves, pudina leaves, and a few drops of rose water and kewra water for a genuine flavor.
What’s a good side dish with dum egg biryani?
The egg biryani goes well with gravy chicken dishes like chicken korma, Kadai chicken, and butter chicken. You may also serve it with raita and salad.
Note: Hover over the chicken tab and watch individual recipes if you want to cook the aforementioned chicken meals.
How to create the greatest egg biryani
- Rice: The finest quality long grain flavorful basmati rice from any famous brand available in the market is required to create the greatest egg biryani dish. Before preparing egg biryani, soak them in water for up to 30 minutes.
- To make genuine egg biryani, combine desi ghee, a few drops of rose water, kewra water, fried onions, and high quality garam masala powder or biryani masala powder, either store-bought or handmade.
- Saffron Milk: Saffron milk is one of the key components in traditional dum biryani preparation. Mix a few saffron or Kesar with boiling milk and leave aside to cool till the color changes from white to yellow.
More Recipes You Might Enjoy
Video of the egg biryani recipe
If you want to see the egg biryani video recipe, click here; alternatively, follow the step-by-step directions below.
Don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter.
How to prepare egg biryani with photos and step-by-step instructions
We divided the egg biryani recipe into three sections to make it easier to prepare.
The first is making egg biryani masala, and the second is making egg biryani rice.
The last step is to prepare the egg biryani recipe.
So, let’s get started.
Making masala for egg biryani
1. Pour 300 to 400 grams of high quality basmati rice from any famous brand into a big mixing bowl and wash well under running water.
2. Next, fill a bowl halfway with water and soak the rice for 30 to 35 minutes.
3. Pour 50 mL boiling milk into a small bowl.
4. Add 8 to 10 saffron or Kesar, give it a quick stir, and leave it away for a while till the milk becomes yellow.
5. Boil 5 to 6 eggs and 4 to 5 potatoes split into two halves and put away for later use before preparing anda biryani.
6. Because we’re making classic egg biryani, we’ll need brown onions, so pour some oil into a skillet.
7. In a medium flame, spread it out evenly.
8. Toss together 3 to 4 medium-sized sliced onions and cook them on a medium-high heat until golden brown. Remove the fried onions from the pan and save aside for later use.
9. In the same pan, heat 4 to 5 tablespoons of oil and add entire spices to make masala for egg biryani. 3–4 garlic cloves, 1 tiny bay leaf, 4 green cardamoms, 1 cardamom (black), 1 mace, 2 inch cinnamon sticks sticks, cumin seed, 2 tsp, sauté for 45 seconds on medium heat.
10. Add 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste and cook for another 30 to 45 seconds over medium heat, or until the raw scent is gone.
11. Add 2 to 3 medium-sized sliced tomatoes after that.
12. Add 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder as well.
13. Toss everything together and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat, or until the tomatoes are transparent.
14. Mix in 3 to 4 tablespoons hanging curd with the gravy.
15. Pour in a little water if the spices begin to burn, and stir quickly for 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat.
16. In this gravy, add 2 tbsp coriander leaves and 2 tbsp pudina leaves.
17. Finally, mix in 1 tablespoon of high grade biryani masala powder.
18. Add cooked eggs, boiled potatoes, and a masala gravy to this.
19. Next, combine everything and simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes on medium heat, until all of the spices are well combined with the eggs and potatoes.
20. Finally, top the egg biryani gravy with fried onions or brown onions.
Getting the rice ready for egg biryani
1. Fill a deep pot halfway with water to prepare classic egg dum biryani.
2. Add 2 to 3 tbsp salt, 3–4 garlic cloves, 1 tiny bay leaf, 1 inch cinnamon, 4 green cardamoms, 1 cardamom (black), 1 mace, 1 tsp cumin seed, 1 tbsp oil to the pan.
3. Once the water begins to boil, add the soaked rice.
4. Add 1 tablespoon rosewater to the biryani rice for a lovely aroma.
5. Add 1 tbsp kewra water and boil the rice until it reaches 70% doneness.
6. Now, check the rice by pressing it between your fingers, drain the excess water, and let it cool for a while.
Dum egg biryani recipe in the kitchen
1. To make an egg biryani recipe, first grease the bottom of the handi with 2 tbsp oil or ghee to prevent rice from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
2. Then, in the bottom of the handi, distribute the first layer of cooked biryani rice.
3. Next, prepare the biryani masala gravy for the second layer.
4. Finally, top it with 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves and 2 tbsp pudina leaves.
5. Finally, evenly distribute the second layer of rice on top.
6. Pour the Kesar milk that we had previously made.
7. Add 1 tablespoon rosewater and 1 tbsp kewra water to the mix.
8. Drizzle 2 to 3 tablespoons desi ghee over it.
9. On top of the rice layer, scatter the leftover fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, and pudina.
10. Finally, cover the handi with foil paper and cook the egg biryani on high heat for 2-3 minutes and low heat for 15 minutes. If you wish to prevent direct heat from the biryani, put the handi over the tawa for another 20 minutes.
Note: At this point, we’ve prepared a restaurant-style egg biryani at home; gently lift the cover and fluff the rice from one side with a sharp spatula before serving hot with salad.
Recipe Card for Egg Biryani
Here’s a brief rundown of all the components for egg biryani, as well as a step-by-step guide to making hyderbadi egg dum biryani, as illustrated in the recipe card.
Make a mental note of all of the ingredient listings.
15-minute prep time
Time to prepare: 55 minutes
15 minutes of extra time
1 hour and 25 minutes total
Egg Biryani Masala Ingredients
- 5–6 hard-boiled eggs
- 4–5 tbsp. oil
- 3–4 medium-sized onions, sliced
- [chopped] 2 to 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 tej patta (bay leaf)
- 2–3 green cardamom pods
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 2 inch cinnamon
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 tsp cumin seed
- 1 tbsp garlic-ginger paste
- a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon powdered kashmiri red chili
- 2 tsp masala for biryani
- 4–5 tablespoons curd
- season with salt to taste
- 3–4 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 2–3 tablespoons pudina leaves (optional)
Rice Cooking Ingredients
- Basmati rice, 300-400 grams
- 1.5-2 liters of water
- 2 to 3 tablespoons salt
- 4–5 green cardamom pods
- 3 to 4 cloves
- 1 black cardamom
- 2 inch cinnamon
- cumin seed, 1 tbsp
- 1 javitri or mace
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 tablespoon of keora water
Ingredients for Steaming Egg Biryani
- 3–4 tablespoons oil or desi ghee
- 50 milliliters of hot milk
- 8–10 kesar or saffron
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 tablespoon of keora water
What is the best way to prepare egg biryani?
- To begin, place high quality basmati rice in a bowl, cover with water, and soak for 30 minutes.
- Before preparing egg biryani, boil the eggs and potatoes.
- To make brown onion for egg biryani, pour oil into a skillet and distribute it evenly over medium heat.
- Then add the chopped onions and cook them over medium heat until golden brown.
- Pour oil into a pan to create the masala for the egg biryani.
- Then add clove, bay leaf, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace, cinnamon, and cumin seed to the pan.
- Next, add the ginger-garlic paste and cook over medium heat until all of the raw spices have vanished.
- After that, combine chopped tomatoes, turmeric, salt, and kashmiri red chili powder in a saucepan and simmer until the tomatoes are transparent.
- Then, combine the hanging curd with the gravy.
- Pour in a little water and add coriander leaves and garam masala powder to the gravy.
- Then carefully fold in the cooked egg, potatoes, and fried onions into the masala gravy.
- Pour water into a large pan and add salt, clove, green cardamom, black cardamom, mace, cumin seed, and oil to properly cook rice for egg biryani.
- Bring the water to a boil before adding the soaked rice.
- For added flavor, add rose water and kewra water, then cook the rice to 70% doneness.
- Drain the excess water from the rice and set it aside to cool.
- Spread oil or ghee in the bottom of the handi for steaming egg biryani.
- Then, in the bottom of the handi, distribute the first layer of boiled biryani rice.
- Make an egg masala gravy layer next.
- After that, top them with chopped coriander leaves and pudina leaves.
- Also, equally distribute the second layer of rice on top of it.
- Pour over it Kesar milk, rose water, kewra water, and desi ghee.
- Over the rice layer, scatter the leftover fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, and pudina.
- Finally, cover the handi with foil paper and cook the egg biryani on high for 2-3 minutes and low for 15 minutes.
- If you wish to prevent direct heat from the biryani, put the handi over the tawa for another 20 minutes.
- If you wish to prepare egg biryani in a pressure cooker, just replace the handi with a cooker and follow the instructions above.
- Cook for 2 whistles on medium heat with the lid on the cooker.
- Do not open the cover at this point; instead, turn off the heat and put it aside to cool for 7 to 8 minutes.
- When the biryani is done, gently open the cover and fluff the rice with a sharp spatula from one side. Serve immediately with salad, raita, or any chicken gravy.
Notes on the Egg Biryani Recipe
- You may add cooked potatoes and boiled eggs to make egg biryani masala, which improves the flavor.
- Brown onions are required in traditional dum biryani, so gently cook them over medium heat without scorching them.
Information on nutrition
Size of the Serving
3 Calories per serving (per serving): 1900 172g total fat 18g Saturated Fat Unsaturated Fat 144gTrans Fat 1g 396mg Cholesterol 14464mg sodium 73g carbohydrate 8 g of fiber 14 g sugar 24 g protein
Disclaimer: The data shown is based on an estimate from an online nutrition calculator. It should not be used as a replacement for the advise of a qualified nutritionist.
The egg dum biryani is a popular dish in India. It is made by cooking eggs in a pressure cooker, then adding the rest of the ingredients and cooking it for about 10 minutes.
- egg biryani near me
- egg biryani veena’s curryworld
- egg biryani kannamma cooks