This style of cauliflower is a bit different from the standard way of cooking cauliflower. The key to this dish is using the correct cooking method and the right seasoning and spices. The cauliflower is cut into bite-size pieces, and then deep fried in vegetable oil. Balsamic vinegar is added to the hot oil, along with a large seasoning of cumin, salt and pepper. Finally, this is served with Greek yogurt, tzatziki sauce, and mint leaves.
I’ve been a vegetarian for a few years now. So, I was excited when I heard about “Gobi 65, Cauliflower 65” restaurant…
At just over a year old, The Fat Duck has become the go-to place for foodies. Last year they launched a new restaurant which changed the entire concept of the restaurant – with a menu which changes daily, built around the seasons and ingredients from around the world.
Gobi 65 / Cauliflower 65 is a delicious snack or appetizer. Homestyle cauliflower 65 has already been shared. There are so many different ways to make this meal. A mouth-watering beginning and one of my favorites is restaurant-style Gobi 65, which is crunchy on the exterior and reddish in color, served with onion rings and a lime/lemon wedge. Gobi 65, like chicken 65, is a popular vegetarian beginning in South India (Chennai). The key to the Gobi 65’s crispiness is that the flour should be dry, not wet like a batter. The mixture should be applied on the cauliflower in such a way that it is gently covered. This Gobi 65 in the manner of a restaurant is delicious. If you don’t enjoy dry gobi 65 as much as I do, try dipping it in Manchurian or chilli sauce. I made a fast Indo-Chinese chilli sauce and served it with the fried gobi 65 as an appetizer. Both flavors were delicious. Gobi 65 / cauliflower 65 is served in restaurants with fried onions, green chilies, and lemon wedges. Toothpicks should be used to serve. Individual gobi 65 / cauliflower 65 pieces will be simple to pick up.
Time to prepare: 15 minutes
Time to cook: 30 minutes
South Indian cuisine
2 to 3 people
- 250 to 300 gms gobi / cauliflower, or 1 medium sized
- 1/3 cup maida (all-purpose flour)
- 1/3 cup rice flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon saunf (aniseed) powder
- a sprinkle of red food coloring (biryani color)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- a pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tbsp (or more) water
- 12 to 15 curry leaves
Sauce in a flash
- 1 onion (small) (3 tbsp)
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 garlic clove (large)
- 2 tbsp Chilli Garlic Sauce (Maggi brand)
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- 2 tsp. oil
- 1 onion (small)
- 2 green chillies (sliced)
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- Cauliflower should be cut into florets.
- Soak for 10 minutes in hot water, drain, and set away.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, curry leaves, chili powder, and other spices, as well as the salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Mix in the cauliflower florets well. Do not add any water until it has thoroughly blended in its wetness.
- Add water a bit at a time now (and evenly). Mix thoroughly. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the gobi / cauliflower in the marinade. You may either let it aside for 10 to 15 minutes or cook it right away.
- Heat the oil, but not to a high temperature. To test the temperature, place one gobi/cauliflower floret in the heated oil.
- Gobi 65 / cauliflower 65 should be fried in batches. Cook until the bacon is crispy.
- Keep rotating the gobi 65 / cauliflower 65 in between batches of frying to ensure uniform cooking.
- Serve with onion rings, lemon wedges, and your favorite sauce (mint-yoghurt sauce/chilli sauce/ketchup).
- In restaurants and street food vendors, onions, green chilies (slit lengthwise), coriander leaves, salt, and lemon wedges are sauteed and garnished over gobi 65 / cauliflower 65. I like to serve gobi 65 with plain rice and dal or lemon rice as a side dish.
Sauce in a flash
- In a vessel, heat the oil. Add the onion, curry leaves, and green chilies when the pan is heated. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the vegetables are translucent.
- Toss in the chili and tomato ketchup. On a medium heat, mix and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix in the cooked gobi 65 and serve immediately as an appetizer.
- Crushed ginger, crushed saunf seeds (aniseed), and garam masala may be added to the flour mixture for added flavor.
- Using the heavy flour mixture and spices, coat each cauliflower floret well.
- You may add a little water to the flour mixture if it’s too dry. The consistency of the mixture should be sticky and thick. Depending on the consistency of the mixture, you’ll obtain crispy gobi65.
- If you don’t want a lot of crispiness, as I occasionally do, add a little water and thin down the coating or marinade mixture.
- Rice flour may be replaced with corn flour.
Cauliflower is one of the more under-utilized vegetables, which is a shame because it’s packed with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. But if you’re a first-timer I do suggest taking a few minutes to find a recipe that you really like. Here’s one of my favorite cauliflower recipes.. Read more about gobi 65 recipe gravy and let us know what you think.