Jamaican rice and peas recipe – Jamaican Foods and Recipes
Jamaican rice and peas recipe is a popular dish in Jamaica. It consists of white rice, black-eyed peas, green bell pepper, onion, garlic, thyme, salt, sugar and water.
The authentic jamaican rice and peas recipe is a dish that is made with the ingredients of Jamaican foods. It has been around for a long time, but it became popular in the 1970s.
Jamaican Jamaica’s most popular side dish is rice and peas, and I’m thrilled to share this recipe with you. Rice, red peas, coconut milk, and a variety of Jamaican dishes Dinner for Sunday is ready!
Jamaican Sunday Dinners At Their Heart
On Sundays, the majority of Jamaicans will almost certainly be eating rice and peas for supper. I’m not sure how it happened, but rice and peas for Sunday is perfect.
However, it isn’t really a custom. I believe this is due to the fact that we have more time to cook on Sundays, and we utilize that time to prepare our finest and favorite dishes.
Beans or Peas?
It may come as a surprise to non-Jamaicans that Jamaican rice and peas are prepared using red kidney beans rather than peas. Kidney beans are referred to as peas in Jamaica, despite the fact that other beans such as butter bean are referred to as bean.
This is why the meal is referred to as rice and peas rather than rice and beans.
Now that we’ve cleared up any misunderstandings, let’s go to work on making this delectable rice dish.
What You Will Require
You’ve always been curious, haven’t you? Here’s what you’ll need. Let me go through each point one by one.
- For this dish, I use dried red kidney beans (peas). Because dried peas take longer to cook, canned peas may be a better option if time is of the essence.
- Fresh coconut milk: Because coconut milk is so important in this meal, it’s preferable to use it straight from the coconut. If you use canned coconut milk, however, this meal will be fantastic.
- I use long grain rice that is simple to prepare. Because this rice absorbs liquid differently than basmati rice, you’ll need to alter the quantity of water or coconut milk you use if you’re using basmati rice.
- Chipotle pepper: Chop or burst a full scotch bonnet pepper before adding it to the saucepan. I didn’t have any scotch bonnet pepper, so I used a chilli pepper.
- Scallion, pimento (allspice), garlic, gingerthyme, and salt: a flavor foundation is required!
Even more time was saved by using canned peas and canned coconut milk. I’ve also included instructions for using canned tomatoes in the recipe.
Jamaican Rice and Peas Cooking Instructions
The greatest part is learning how to make it! Rice and peas may be prepared in just a few easy steps.
Peas should be washed and pressure cooked for 20 to 30 minutes. If you soak the peas overnight, the pressure cooking time will be reduced to fifteen to twenty minutes.
To soften the peas and add flavor, add the ginger and pimento berries to the pressure cooker.
Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the peas are tender. It’s that easy. I
What Is The Best Way To Serve Rice And Peas?
Fried chicken is the most popular main meal paired with rice and peas. It’s not my favorite major dish to serve with rice and peas; I grew up eating fish, and it’s still my favorite.
Brown stew fish is the finest fish to serve with this rice meal. Brown stew chicken, on the other hand, is just as delicious if you like chicken.
However, rice and peas are not only excellent with fish and chicken, but also with curry goat, pepper steak, and oxtail.
Recipes for Kidney Peas:
Additional Coconut Milk Recipes
THANK YOU for visiting my site, leaving comments, and sharing my recipes with your friends and family. I am very grateful for you!
If you make this rice and peas dish, please leave a rating and a comment below. I’d love to hear about your experience, and your kind words brighten my day!
Subscribe to my email to get recipe updates as well as occasional culinary tips & techniques!
You may also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram. Please drop by and leave a note for me! I like reading your feedback!
Recipe for Jamaican rice and peas
This Jamaican rice and peas dish will make your next Sunday supper special.
Time to Prepare: 20 minutes
30 minutes to prepare
Side Dish for the Course
6 person servings
Calories (kcal): 201
- 1 cup red kidney beans, dried (peas)
- 12 cup coconut milk (fresh)
- 12 cup washed and drained rice
- 1 little chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 scallions stalk, chopped
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 pepper (Scotch bonnet) Don’t cut or burst anything.
- 12 inch grattered little slice of ginger
- 5 pimento peppers (allspice)
- 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
Wash the peas and place them in a pressure cooker with 3 cups of water, pimento berries, ginger, and half the salt. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes at high pressure.
Before you open the pressure cooker, make sure it is completely cold.
Thyme, scallion, onion, and garlic are used to season the pot.
Combine the rice and coconut milk in a mixing bowl. If the liquid does not reach an inch over the rice, add additional water and stir thoroughly.
Cover and bring to a boil with the scotch bonnet pepper.
Reduce the heat to low and steam the rice until it is soft and all of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove the thyme stalks and Scotch bonnet and set aside. Serve!
- Pressure cook the peas for 15 to 20 minutes if you soak them overnight.
The rice and peas recipe – original flava is a Jamaican dish. It consists of rice and peas with spices like thyme, garlic, and onion.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Jamaican rice and peas made of?
Jamaican rice and peas are made of white rice, black beans, green peas, scotch bonnet peppers, thyme, salt.
Why do Jamaicans eat rice and peas?
Jamaicans eat rice and peas because they are a staple in their culture. Rice is often eaten as a breakfast food, and peas can be used to make many dishes such as soups and stews.
How do you make Jamaican rice and peas with Ricardo?
Ricardo is a Jamaican character.
- trinidad rice and peas recipe
- jamaican rice and peas without coconut milk
- easy rice and peas recipe
- how to cook rice and peas with coconut milk
- jamaican rice and peas with canned beans