Slow cooker black bean ragout is a hearty and comforting meal that’s perfect for the winter. Black beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, spices, and lime juice are simmered in a savory broth with cilantro and avocado.
Black beans are a great source of fiber and protein. They’re also high in antioxidants and low in fat and calories. This black bean ragout is easy to prepare, and tastes delicious! Read more in detail here: black bean recipes.
Ragout of beans:
- 1 big coarsely chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 12 teaspoon oregano, dry
- 2 tsp. paprika (smoked)
- dry black beans, washed if not previously soaked, 1 pound (455 grams or 14 cups)
- 1 chile (dry)
- 35 grams tomato paste (2 teaspoons)
- 2 teaspoons salt (table)
- 9 to 10 cups (2 to 212 liters) water or unsalted chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or lime juice
Toast with garlic:
- bread pieces that are 1 inch thick, such as country or ciabatta loaf
- Olive oil is a kind of oil that comes from
- salt from the table
- 1 half big garlic clove
Crema de cumin:
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup sour cream, crème fraiche, or crema mexicana (240 grams)
Red onions pickled with lime juice:
- 2 teaspoons (30 mL) lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 14 medium finely minced red onion
- salt from the table
- Fresh cilantro leaves (or flat-leaf parsley if you don’t like cilantro)
- wedges of avocado
I understand that black beans are often served as a side dish. But they’re my go-to meal when I’m trapped indoors on a dreary workday.
- In a 6-quart slow cooker, combine all of the bean ragout components except the lime juice or vinegar (the slow cooker doesn’t care how you stack your ingredients). Cover and simmer on high for 3 to 6 hours, or until beans are extremely tender (in my super-fast slow cooker).
- In a large saucepan, bring all of the bean ragout ingredients to a boil, except the lime juice or vinegar. Reduce to a low simmer and continue to cook for another 3 hours, or until the beans are soft.
- Brush the bread with olive oil and season with a pinch of salt. Toast the bread under the broiler and massage it with the raw garlic clove as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Set aside 1 teaspoon ground cumin and 1 tablespoon sour cream.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, onion, and a sprinkle or two of salt, and let aside for 15 minutes, stirring periodically. Toss with black bean ragout as a garnish.
- Stir in the lime juice or vinegar once the beans have finished cooking. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chopped cilantro, cumin crema, and lime-pickled red onions atop garlicky toasts. Serve with avocado wedges on the side.
The smitten kitchen black bean chili is a delicious, easy to make slow cooker recipe. It’s perfect for a weeknight meal or for entertaining guests.
- slow cooker recipes
- black bean ragout smitten kitchen
- smitten kitchen black bean recipes
- black bean recipes healthy
- smitten kitchen black bean soup