Tawa murg kebab
The preparation of tawa murg, or tawa kebab, is an art form that has been passed down the generations in the family. It is the one dish that everyone gives rave reviews to. The meat; the spices and the spices; the essential masala; the magic of the tawa.
Pakistani street foods are often a hit and miss affair. Sometimes they are great, sometimes they are terrible. One of the most famous street foods is the tawa murg. Tawa means ‘iron’, and murg means ‘beef’. So, what does the tawa murg consist of? First, the tawa is placed over a hot coal, and the meat that is placed on it is cooked over the open flame. When the meat is cooked, a piece of it is pulled off, wrapped inside a large naan, and served. Sounds simple.
Today I am going to teach you how to make tawa murg kebab. I have a lot of fun preparing this dish. It is a very easy recipe and if you don’t have a recipe for it, you can just follow the recipe I am going to give you.
This chicken kebab is simple to prepare and may be served as a snack or appetizer. I fashioned it into sheekh or seek kebab forms. Whole spices and other basic ingredients are used to flavor it. This chicken kebab may be prepared on the grill, in a skillet, or on a tava. To cook, you may use ghee or oil. I used sunflower oil, but you could use vegetable oil instead. There is one spice in particular that causes confusion: cassia buds, kebab chini, or nagkeshar (nag kesar), since they both appear similar and have only minor differences. According to some, nag kesar is Hindi for cassia buds and cassia buds is English for cassia buds, and cassia bud is also known as kebab chini, although others believe they are the same spice. This whole-spiced tava murg kebab is plenty of flavor. However, according to my study, kebab chini and nag kesar are two distinct spices. You may make tiny sheikh kebabs, seek kebabs, or mini sausages.
- 300 gms boneless chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon black cumin seeds (shah jeera)
- 2 tblsp. cloves
- 1 (1/2 inch) cinnamon stick
- nagkeshar (cassia buds) – 3
- 2 green cardamoms
- a pinch of salt (to taste)
- 1 or 1 tsp green chilli (chopped)
- 30 gms onion
- Egg – 1
- 1 piece of bread
- 1/3 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Onion rings or slices
- slices of lemon or lime
- Oil is used for frying.
- Finely chop all of the veggies.
- To make bread crumbs, crush all the entire spices, such as cassia buds, cloves, cinnamon stick, and green cardamom, to a powder, then add the bread pieces and mix them with the spices.
- Place in a mixing basin.
- In a blender or food processor, grind the boneless chicken to a fine paste, then add to the same spice dish.
- Combine all remaining ingredients, including onion, green chili, egg, salt to taste, and coriander leaves.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Take a basin of water and soak your hands in it.
- Take a little amount of the ingredients and roll it into a sheikh kebab or cylinder form with your palm.
- Alternatively, take any spoon and roll the chicken mixture on it using the back side, then dip your hand in water and repeat, since the chicken mixture will not cling to your hands.
- Preheat the tava or pan and add 2 tbsp oil. When heated, add the chicken kebabs one at a time and fry on all sides equally till golden brown and cooked through on medium heat.
- Drizzle little oil in between and cook on medium heat until both sides are equally cooked. Cook the kebabs one at a time.
- It will take between 12 and 15 minutes.
- To absorb the flavor of the fried chicken kebab, cook onion rings and capsicum rings till golden brown on the same tava/pan.
- Arrange onion rings and capsicum first, then put chicken kebab on top.
- Serve hot with any sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice over the onion rings and chicken.
- Instead of boneless chicken, you may use chicken mince.
- You may make the chicken kebab into whatever form you like.
- You can make beef or lamb/mutton using the same ingredients.
Beef murg kebab is an Indian street food famous for its marvellous flavour. Tawa murg kebab is a unique street food of Punjab where very tender pieces of murg (beef) are cooked on the pan over the flame with grated ginger, onion and spices.. Read more about how to make chicken kebab at home without oven and let us know what you think.