Crouton Breaded Chicken |
This is a recipe for crouton breaded chicken. The croutons are made from leftover bread and the breading uses an easy mix of flour, cornmeal, salt, and pepper.
Crouton Chicken Casserole is a dish that has been popularized by celebrities. It is made with breaded chicken, croutons, and cheese. Read more in detail here: crouton chicken casserole.
- 2 trimmed (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to a 12-inch thickness
- a cup of low-fat buttermilk
- Spray with olive oil (from a spray bottle, not a store-bought, prefilled one that contains propellant; I used a Misto)
- 1 ounce (about 24 fat-free herb-seasoned croutons) (For the croutons, I used Marie Callender’s Fat-Free Herb-Seasoned Croutons.)
Soaking chicken in buttermilk is a fantastic, guilt-free method to make it more soft and juicy.
- In a medium resealable plastic bag, place the chicken breasts. Fill the bag with buttermilk and seal it. Allow 6 hours or overnight to soak, rotating once or twice.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Â Spray a small nonstick baking pan or sheet lightly with cooking spray.
- Fill a resealable plastic bag halfway with croutons. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound them until they’re fine crumbs. Transfer the crumbs to a medium shallow mixing bowl.
- Remove one of the breasts from the bag and allow any extra buttermilk to drop out. Dip it into the crumbs and rotate it to thoroughly coat the breast. Place the breaded breast on the baking sheet that has been prepared. Repeat with the second breast, placing it on the baking sheet so that the breasts do not come into contact. If there are any crumbs left, push them into the tops of the breasts. Spray the tops of the breasts lightly with the spray.
- Bake them for 5 minutes, then turn them gently, being careful not to remove the coating. Â Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray and bake for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until the coating is crisp and the chicken is no longer pink inside. Serve right away.
The crouton bread crumbs are a mix of bread crumbs and cornmeal that is used to coat the chicken before cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you use croutons as breading?
Yes, you can use croutons as breading.
How do you get breadcrumbs to stick to chicken?
You can use cornstarch or flour to create a paste that you can then dip the chicken in.
How do you make croutons into breadcrumbs?
You would need to make a roux, which is a mixture of flour and butter that you cook for several minutes until it turns into a thick paste. Then you would need to mix in the breadcrumbs with the roux until they are evenly combined.
- crushed croutons for bread crumbs
- chicken recipes with croutons
- crouton chicken parmesan
- chicken croutons
- how to bread chicken